...

If it meets our standards for antique, then it also is considered an antique in the U.S. You will be OK as far as ITAR is concerned but, I'm not sure about you being a non-immigrant alien in possession ofr a firearm..............You might try a PM to Dingus or Bighorn Chris--one of them may know.
 
As far as the authorities in the States are concerned, it's not a firearm if it's an antique. I would suggest that you don't have ammo with it however without a Form 6.
 
Antique's are classed as non-firearms in US and Canada. No export or import licenses required on either side, and no restrictions on ownership in either country and does not come under ITAR. Just don't buy ammo for it because that is controlled under ITAR and would require an export license.
 
Last edited:
If it meets our standards for antique, then it also is considered an antique in the U.S. You will be OK as far as ITAR is concerned but, I'm not sure about you being a non-immigrant alien in possession ofr a firearm..............You might try a PM to Dingus or Bighorn Chris--one of them may know.

They ruled it was fine if your Canadian in the courts.. Same with buying stuff limit was incressed to 500 instead of 200 for Canada only must of been a high volume of requests bogging them down for them to change
 
If you are crossing the border I would first get the RCMP antique letter - even though it is a bit more of a hassle these days to get the letter.

I crossed the border two years ago with a few antique colts with letters explaining their age and exemption from registration (and a copy of the legislation). Took three hours before the CBSA could verify that the guns were antiques.

Good luck with your new antique!
 
I think I would spend the money and mail them by USPS/Canada Post, that way you can get your ducks in a row and have the paperwork ready (if not in the parcel). If there is a hassle then you are not waiting at the border and don't have to travel back to that border crossing with more info, just down to your local office!
 
Borderview international (google them) will also bring it over for you. $79. plus shipping great guys. especially if you buy from a u.s. seller who doesn't ship to Canada!
 
yep you can bring it back no problem

no problem buy or owning in the the US in fact you can buy modern cap and ball guns over there no problem just cant bring them back
 
As Bobdbldr mentioned - if you are mailing the gun (and the seller won't mail to Canada) Borderview will handle the transaction - I have dealt with Joel at Borderview three times now and each transaction has been handled very professionally.
 
I just brought 2 over last week (Colt Thunderers). Printed off the rules from the RCMP website. Had an "Antique Letter" that someone posted on here with each gun. Both were locked in a secure box. Border guards were awesome.. Looked over my stuff and sent me on my way (20 min max).. They were more interested in hearing about the guns for their own interest.

I had thought about mailing, but my cousin who crosses the border all the time warned me it could be trouble. The guards sometimes ask if you have mailed anything to yourself. He thought I would have big problems if I said I mailed 2 guns (antique or not).

If you are sure about the status and can verify the date of manufacture (I listed 2 sources) then you shouldn't have any problems.
 
Back
Top Bottom