Best 'Smith For SAA Work In Canada?

tactical870

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
136   0   0
So after 15 minutes of fondling my safe queen 1883 Colt single action army, I've decided I need to get it restored properly. It needs a complete restoration beyond what my skills allow. It needs to be draw filed and polished, needs a new cylinder pin and bushing, hammer and a full set of screws. I'd like a nice custom action job, new screws and a suitable finish. I've been considering Doug at Ellwood Epps, but figured I'd ask around before I ship it out. Thanks
 
Gunnar at armco has a dude on staff that tunes SAAs, but I'm not sure about restoration. It wouldn't hurt to drop him a line.

For restoration I would stay away from Armco, tuning yes they can deliver top notch, resto's not so much. I'm not Armco hater, it's just outside of their abilities in house. If Gunnar tells you otherwise, then he intends on outsourcing the work, so you might as well find the outsource and eliminate the middleman. To me removing a middleman would not only save $$$$ but reduce the chance of lack of communication (and fuxing up the project) and speed up delivery.

Now Tac what kind of restoration are you thinking for finish type? Nickel, blued, or blued & case hardened? What's the total amount you'd like to put into the project? How patient are you for turn around time? All questions that would help point you in the direction that best suits you.
 
Now Tac what kind of restoration are you thinking for finish type? Nickel, blued, or blued & case hardened? What's the total amount you'd like to put into the project? How patient are you for turn around time? All questions that would help point you in the direction that best suits you.

Time and price are not as important as the overall finish. I'd like it done in blue or colour case hardened. Nickle is pretty but not durable enough for me, as my guns are all shooters.
 
considering Doug at Ellwood Epps, but figured I'd ask around before I ship it out. Thanks

If you're happy with Doug, great. If you're still looking....Peter from Rustywood did a few Colts for me, not total restorations but custom action jobs, grip fitting etc. I know he also did 3 prop guns for the movie Gunless starring Paul Gross! You can call him...very nice guy to talk to...as the beege
said!

OK
 
Back
Top Bottom