Declassify cap and ball guns NOW!

handofzeus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
When was the last time, if ever, that somebody used a cap and ball revolver in ANY type of crime? Why are these historical anthropological tools treated with the same disdain as all other handguns and restricted guns? These tributes to an era-gone-by should be exchanged freely among afficionados, as they are in the U.S. In fact, as far as I know, black powder guns are considered 'non-guns' south of the border in the 'land-of-the-freer-than-us'.
 
When was the last time, if ever, that somebody used a cap and ball revolver in ANY type of crime? Why are these historical anthropological tools treated with the same disdain as all other handguns and restricted guns? These tributes to an era-gone-by should be exchanged freely among afficionados, as they are in the U.S. In fact, as far as I know, black powder guns are considered 'non-guns' south of the border in the 'land-of-the-freer-than-us'.
For the most part I think you are right. But some states such as New Jersey, for a long time IIRC, and just recently Washington state have moved to regulate the sale and possession of cap & ball revolvers. But in the eyes of the fed's I think you are correct in this regard.
 
yep in most states they are non guns anyone can buy one including a canadian (or anyone else for that matter) but there is a few states that are not with the fed's i think MI mite be in that boat (ive asked as i wanted a naa mini cap and ball to keep down there for fun as we go there often)
 
It would be sweet that the old time guns (Reproductions) were to be granted the same status as the antiques.
I would not hold up a bank but I might take the gun out to the sticks and shoot some water bottles.
 
Skinny 1950 points out a good point.
An ORIGINAL cap and ball is exempt from the Restricted laws, but a repro c&b must be registered and restricted.
 
Skinny 1950 points out a good point.
An ORIGINAL cap and ball is exempt from the Restricted laws, but a repro c&b must be registered and restricted.

one of the reasons the laws are the way they are on modern Cap and ball revolvers is theres cartridge adaptor cylinders made by Krist and other companys and once installed (they just pop right in no gunsmithing involved a caveman could do it) the guns a cartridge capable handgun just like any modern revolver.
Tho in the USA they dont worry about it as much tho some states there considered modern.
Its B.S but whats new.
 
But even the reproduction flintlock at Marstar is listed as restricted..when they are exempt by regulation!!
"The Regulations also add to the class of "antiques" certain modern reproductions of antique models of firearms, because their technology is obsolete and as a result they represent the same low level of risk to public safety as those actually manufactured before modern firearms technology was developed. These are reproductions of flintlock, wheel-lock and matchlock firearms. This means that the reproductions commonly used by historical re-enactors will enjoy the same exemptions as the antique firearms covered by the current definition.

Antique firearms are deemed by subsection 84(3) of the Criminal Code not to be firearms for the purposes of the Firearms Act. They are thus exempt from licensing, registration, border requirements and other regulatory controls, although they are still firearms if they are used in the commission of an offence."
 
I don't think the ability to modify a gun into a cartridge gun has anything to do with the law to register modern cap and ball revolvers. I think it is more a question of the desire, by politicians, to ban all weapons. I think they realize that there are enough hunters and sport shooters in Canada to be politically foolish to ban all guns. I also think that they realize it would be politically foolish to ban or restrict true antiques; the public would perceive that to be something like burning bibles.

I also think that when laws are written, neither those who actually write the laws nor the senior police who almost certainly have input, nor politicians have very much knowledge about the subject. I doubt that they are even aware of cartridge conversion revolvers and probably know very little if anything about reloading and of conversion of current cartridges into obsolete calibers.

cheers mooncoon
 
But even the reproduction flintlock at Marstar is listed as restricted..when they are exempt by regulation!!
"The Regulations also add to the class of "antiques" certain modern reproductions of antique models of firearms, because their technology is obsolete and as a result they represent the same low level of risk to public safety as those actually manufactured before modern firearms technology was developed. These are reproductions of flintlock, wheel-lock and matchlock firearms. This means that the reproductions commonly used by historical re-enactors will enjoy the same exemptions as the antique firearms covered by the current definition.

Antique firearms are deemed by subsection 84(3) of the Criminal Code not to be firearms for the purposes of the Firearms Act. They are thus exempt from licensing, registration, border requirements and other regulatory controls, although they are still firearms if they are used in the commission of an offence."

only new made flintlock long guns are antique classed
 
one of the reasons the laws are the way they are on modern Cap and ball revolvers is theres cartridge adaptor cylinders made by Krist and other companys and once installed (they just pop right in no gunsmithing involved a caveman could do it) the guns a cartridge capable handgun just like any modern revolver.
Tho in the USA they dont worry about it as much tho some states there considered modern.
Its B.S but whats new.

Would this argument not apply to antique c&b revolvers in the same way?
 
Would this argument not apply to antique c&b revolvers in the same way?

Well the Modern cartridge adaptors dont just drop in the old guns there made for new guns. some can be made to fit in the old guns but some tinkering is needed.

the old orignal antique adaptors are made of iron so not a great idea to shoot modern full smokeless loads in them.

I dont know if this is why they have them guns as restricteds or not just a guess on my part eh,,,, what mooncoon says makes way more sence and is likely right on as to WHY there restricted instead of the other.
 
Although in the U.S. "even" repro "cap & ball" revolvers are classed as antiques........:)

Yes, well aware.
I ordered my Pietta made Remington New Army 1858 model thru mail order in the US and had it sent to a UPS receiver in Blaine WA, just across the line.
When I crossed back into Canada, I had to do all the paperwork at that point.
 
Last edited:
Well the Modern cartridge adaptors dont just drop in the old guns there made for new guns. some can be made to fit in the old guns but some tinkering is needed.

the old orignal antique adaptors are made of iron so not a great idea to shoot modern full smokeless loads in them.

I dont know if this is why they have them guns as restricteds or not just a guess on my part eh,,,, what mooncoon says makes way more sence and is likely right on as to WHY there restricted instead of the other.


Sadly I think that is probably the real reason as well.
 
Antiqueguy, thanks, didn't read the ACT hard enough
(Section 1)

BLACK POWDER REPRODUCTIONS

1. A reproduction of a flintlock, wheel-lock or matchlock firearm, other than a handgun, manufactured after 1897.
 
agreed, cap and ball guns pose no more of threat than a long gun. declassify them now!!!
I'm all for it but we are underplaying the fact that many of the newer C & B wheelguns would do just fine up against a Glock; at least for the 1st 5-6 shot's.They are a pistol folks...I wouldn't hold my breath.
It's much more likely that we can get single shot C & B's declassified long before wheelguns.
Not a pessimist, just a realist...
 
I'd love for that to happen but I don't hold a lot of hope that it would be any time soon. Quite simply there is no politcal will to do so because the political price that would be paid is greater than the possible rewards of doing so.
 
Back
Top Bottom