Flintlock Photo's? Let's see em!

Richi23

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Sudbury
Been having a hard time finding topics on this forum for flintlock related threads. So I thought I'd spark some interest by getting the community to show off some of your beautiful flintlock's! Post pictures of muskets or pistols, antiques or reproductions! Let's seem em!

Cheers,
 
Military Heritage

Here's what appears to be a very nice reproduction of a Royal Navy Sea Service Musket (1778 Model). Has anyone ever heard of the website military Heritage that sells these reproductions? They claim to be full firing reproduction rifles with only the vent hole needed to be drilled by gunsmith. I'm sure I wouldn't be too expensive to find a gunsmith to drill and certify. Anyways what do you think?
http://www.militaryheritage.com/musket12.htm

seamusket1.jpg


seamusket2.jpg


seamusket3.jpg


seamusket6.jpg
 
Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mountain Rifle, with added iron patchbox ....
These are no longer made, so far as I am aware, but if you ever get a chance to pick up a good used one ..... don't hesitate!

tennmr02.jpg
 
004.jpg

001-1.jpg


16ga shotgun made by James Wilkinson and Son, Gunmakers to His Majesty. Entered into their inventory in the fall of 1822.
High quality English gun with waterproof lock, etc.
 
Beautiful flintlocks

Very nice flintlocks guys, thanks for posting these beauty's. Brutus Where did you acquire your reproduction Blunder Buss?

H:S:
 
Very nice flintlocks guys, thanks for posting these beauty's. Brutus Where did you acquire your reproduction Blunder Buss?

H:S:
I purchased it from a CGN member on our EE.
He first purchased it through Loyalist Arms in Nova Scotia.
IIRC, these are actually imports from India.
From my perspective I've "proof loaded" it, & I keep my hunting loads for it within reasonable limits.
You would not believe the amount of branches, saplings and twigs this thing pounded down on the way to the intended target.
Zero complaints from this fella.

Cheers!
 
Here's one from quite a number of years ago. Was at a Rendezvous in Idaho with a friend and was shooting my Brown Bess in a night-time Candle Snuff event. He took this by just holding the shutter open while I fired - so the lighting came entirely from the pan and muzzle flash -

Flash.jpg


Gives an interesting perspective on what is happening just in front of your face when a flintlock is fired!
 
That is so cool! Thank you for posting that :)


Jim



Here's one from quite a number of years ago. Was at a Rendezvous in Idaho with a friend and was shooting my Brown Bess in a night-time Candle Snuff event. He took this by just holding the shutter open while I fired - so the lighting came entirely from the pan and muzzle flash -

Flash.jpg


Gives an interesting perspective on what is happening just in front of your face when a flintlock is fired!
 
I purchased it from a CGN member on our EE.
He first purchased it through Loyalist Arms in Nova Scotia.
IIRC, these are actually imports from India.
From my perspective I've "proof loaded" it, & I keep my hunting loads for it within reasonable limits.
You would not believe the amount of branches, saplings and twigs this thing pounded down on the way to the intended target.
Zero complaints from this fella.

Cheers!

Thanks Brutus, that's awesome!
 
Here's one from quite a number of years ago. Was at a Rendezvous in Idaho with a friend and was shooting my Brown Bess in a night-time Candle Snuff event. He took this by just holding the shutter open while I fired - so the lighting came entirely from the pan and muzzle flash -

Flash.jpg


Gives an interesting perspective on what is happening just in front of your face when a flintlock is fired!

Sweet Jeebus!!!:eek:...I was once told that British troopies (and other's I'd imagine) actually closed their eyes when firing the Bess, now I know why. :redface:

I'll stick with my percussion caps thanks. ;)
 
Here is a cute little flint lock.

003-3.jpg

005-1.jpg


It is an unused, never final finished, antique original left hand lock.
Pistol size, but the way the mainspring is set up, it will fit against even a musket barrel.
 
Last edited:
Actually, plinker, a photo of someone shooting a caplock in pitch-dark like this would also reveal a great deal of flash and flame around the lock .... although not quite this much, I'll concede. :rolleyes:

Grant; what was the reasoning for the evolution into caplocks back in the day, reliability or safety? (burnt eyebrows with the flintlock)
 
Back
Top Bottom