Expected my 50-70 to "boom" - it cracks - why???

The 66.6gr Goex cartridge loads went boom. Got a second pair of ears evaluating too. Yep - no sharp crack.

However the Goex loads were also well below speed of sound (1014,1012,994 chronyed). So I still wonder whether my loads at 1120+ were dropping back thru the sound barrier immediately after leaving the rifle. The sonic crack idea is my best guess at present - not that it matters much.

Thanks all for your input.
 
Are you shooting faster than the speed of sound

Sonic crack ??????

This. If your bullet is leaving the muzzle at super sonic speed (approx 1100 fps at sea level) there will be q corresponding supersonic concussion (aka sonic boom) effect. It is noticeable at 1200 fps but very noticeable at 1400-1500 fps. Maybe that's what you're hearing. Smokless also tends to have a sharper report than blackpowder.
 
Last edited:
I have only a beginners experience with loading BP, but I read somewhere (might have been Mike Venturino's Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West) that a properly, powder-dropped, and compressed load will have more of a 'crack' to it rather than a dull boom (not his exact words, except he did use 'crack' for a proper BP load). Don't know if this is true or not but I thought I'd mention it.
 
Back
Top Bottom