So I have a very old double sxs,
Its a 12gauge, probably made in the early 1900's external Hammers, and all it says on the side is "american"
It had 30 inch barrels, but a previous owner had been shooting steel shot 2 3/4 shells as they told me, and about 2 in before the end, the full choke side had a ring, or bulge as you call it.
From what I know that is common from shooting steel from a full choke.
I trimmed the barrels down to 26", that said now both sides should be "open" choke as far as I can tell.
I enjoy antique guns a lot more than a modern one, that said, to hunt waterfowl I need to use a legal load.
You may ask why not use bismuth, or hevi shot?
Because I don't have 130 dollars for a tiny little container full.
I have made a few trap loads before, but, For the most part my reloading knowledge is more towards rifle.
I have magtech 2 1/2 brass shells to load, and i only plan to use blackpowder to keep the loads safe. I have cork wads, overshot cards and I'm going to get some plastic wads.
I want to use plastic wads to protect the bore, but to stop the bp from burning them I will put a cork wad inbetween.
One thing I would like to know is there anything I can put in with the steel shot to help it compress a little when it exits the barrel?
Does anyone have any input on what they do/use?
Are trap wads sufficient or do I need to find steelshot wads?
I'm confident that with a light blackpowder load I won't do any damage to the gun, I'm sure that a lot of people are going to post telling me its unsafe and I'm going to blow the gun up, but please don't bother.
Its a 12gauge, probably made in the early 1900's external Hammers, and all it says on the side is "american"
It had 30 inch barrels, but a previous owner had been shooting steel shot 2 3/4 shells as they told me, and about 2 in before the end, the full choke side had a ring, or bulge as you call it.
From what I know that is common from shooting steel from a full choke.
I trimmed the barrels down to 26", that said now both sides should be "open" choke as far as I can tell.
I enjoy antique guns a lot more than a modern one, that said, to hunt waterfowl I need to use a legal load.
You may ask why not use bismuth, or hevi shot?
Because I don't have 130 dollars for a tiny little container full.
I have made a few trap loads before, but, For the most part my reloading knowledge is more towards rifle.
I have magtech 2 1/2 brass shells to load, and i only plan to use blackpowder to keep the loads safe. I have cork wads, overshot cards and I'm going to get some plastic wads.
I want to use plastic wads to protect the bore, but to stop the bp from burning them I will put a cork wad inbetween.
One thing I would like to know is there anything I can put in with the steel shot to help it compress a little when it exits the barrel?
Does anyone have any input on what they do/use?
Are trap wads sufficient or do I need to find steelshot wads?
I'm confident that with a light blackpowder load I won't do any damage to the gun, I'm sure that a lot of people are going to post telling me its unsafe and I'm going to blow the gun up, but please don't bother.


















































