Grease nipples as a cheap alternative?

handofzeus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
In my lifelong search for the cheapest way.....Yep, you read the title correctly. Has anybody tried popping out the bearing and filing the bulge down on a grease nipple fitting to use on a cap and ball revolver or rifle? I know that you can get the right threads. So......who wants to admit to trying!!!
 
What pray tell does a new nipple for a muzzle loader cost. If it is less then $20 bucks it's worth it as it would take at least a hour if not more to get the grease zerk to fit right.Unless your from a far east country or Mexico your time has to be worth something.
 
Well, when I can buy 15 nipples at $6 from fastenal and all the chores are done and there's nothing on TV.....Oh yeah and the zombie apocalypse has happened.....

What I'm saying is, in a pinch.
 
One of your biggest problems would be that the hole through the center is much too large and escaping gasses would probably push the hammer back to full ####.

cheers mooncoon
 
Most grease zerk's also have a spring loaded ball seat to prevent under psi grease from coming back out. Makes it tough to throw a spark/fire down there. Even removed, the hole diameter is far too small IMO. Just buy a propper nipple!?

Just thought...wrong type of alloy too. I bet they smush/deform after a few hammer strikes, or worse, break!
 
I for one can't source nipples locally so this sounds like a pretty good (potential) alternative in a pinch. I try and have a spare around...but at the same time when I need it, I probably won't be able to find one ;) Soooo...

Will try it this weekend, since it would be good to know. I HATE ending a match early because of a simple break down...
 
I have used grease nipples that fit the nipple threads, to push ball and patch out, when the gun had been loaded without a charge. The grease gun worked pretty handily to push the ball out.

No reason the idea would not work. More work than simply making them from scratch, though. Just need the same lathe that would make converting grease nipples easy and practical.

Cheers
Trev
 
I bet the grease nipple drilled out would be good to hold a plastic tube for flushing out the barrel at cleaning time on my Kentucky style. { It is a real pain to get the pins out of.}
 
not suitable due to pressure rating grease nipples are made to withstand up to 10,000psi I would think the pressure at ignition of a charge of black powder would be higher. Plus in a grease system they fail a lot.not worth the chance
 
Back
Top Bottom