4fg primer Powder

asho

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Edmonton
Is anybody know where i can find 4fg primer powder for flintlock gun? I live in Edmonton but i didn't find any where here in local stores. Please help
 
I had the same problem when I shot flinchlocks. 3fg works fairly well. Another thing you can do (VERY CAREFULLY) is grind some in a mortar and pestle. I did it for years without a mishap, but I always used the following precautions: do very small batches - 1 tsp. max at a time, wear safety glasses and gloves, and keep the ground and unground powder separate and far (5 ft. or so) apart. If less than a tsp. of powder goes off, you'll get a snootfull of soot, some cinged hair, but no more. And, BTW, don't do it in the house, or you could leave a celibate life for a long time.
 
I think the only time you really need 4F is if you dry ball (perish the thought). I shoot primarily flintlocks and only use 3F the same as what I put down the barrel. I do notice a difference for the worse when I use 2F but don't notice any difference between 4F and 3F

cheers mooncoon
 
Quite a few flint lock shooters came on here. I have never even shot black powder, with any type of ignition.
But I am getting an original flint lock pistol.
Do any of you people have experience with something like this?
I guess the next quetion would be if it appears sound, would you shoot it? I do know some black powder shooters who would help, but they may not be familiar with original guns.
IMG_0807.jpg
 
R & T firearms in Warburg, will have your 4fg, its were I get mine. I've never come across it anywhere else, but then I never thought to ask for it at Cabellas, I was so used to them not having anything.
 
I use a nipple pick inserted into the fash hole when loading and compressing the load then pull out the pick and prime the pan with crushed up black I make with wooden dowell on a piece of glass. When priming with the fine powder I tip the gun to make sure some goes into tne flash hole.
 
I have used 3F with good results too, however it is noticably faster ignittion with a pan of 4F.

I have never noticed it to be slow when using 3F, pretty instant IMO. I also use a 1/16" flash hole in my liner. It came with a much smaller hole but once opened up to 1/16" instant ignition and hardly ever clogs. Also the 3F is able to just pass through the hole, so when I load the gun with the frizen closed and then open it to charge the pan there is powder right at the entrance to the hole already.
 
ffffg powder- i have 2 pounds i would happily let you have in exchange for ffg or fffg. problem will be shipping from vancouver island to you. if you have afriend who might be coming to your area for a fall hunt i could arrange to get it to vancouver if that could help. otherwise try using fffg-i have and found it quite satisfactory. cheers
 
I use a nipple pick inserted into the fash hole when loading and compressing the load then pull out the pick and prime the pan with crushed up black I make with wooden dowell on a piece of glass. When priming with the fine powder I tip the gun to make sure some goes into tne flash hole.

If you get powder in your (flash)hole, your lock time will be considerably longer. I use a bent paper clip to keep powder from going into the flash hole. If you have a good amount of powder in the pan, the flash will be more than sufficient to set off your powder. I guess, though, that if it's windy or if you do a lot of walking with it, powder in the flash hole will provide more reliable ignition.

BTW, the finer your priming powder, the more sensitive it will be to wind.
 
Back
Top Bottom