A stupid question perhaps but...

One of the qualities of lead shotgun pellets that used to be used for hunting, was that they had "Hardened Shot."
 
Shot often contains arsenic. If I remember right it helps to make it take a spherical shape during production.

Not sure how much but I'm sure that between that and the cost of shot its probably not best source of lead for casting.
 
I was in Al Simmons in Hamilton Ontario not to long ago and he had bags of shot on the floor {lead}. When I asked him {not an Al, but another older fella with an Italian name} he told me the shot would be too hard to make balls with. It was also not cost effective. That shot ain't cheap!
 
When using hospital salvage is that the stuff being used for protection purposes in the X-ray department? Would that stuff not have a roentgen count that may make it hazardous? Apologize in advance if this has already been covered somewhere else.
 
Get ahold of a local plumbing supply shop,plumber or what ever and ask him if he has access to lead sheets. I found some here only 45 minutes from me.. but doing the math...50 pounds of pure lead is $100.00 bucks. I could cast approx 1500 rb out of it. Now to buy 1500 rb it would cost about $240.00 bucks so you save $140.00 bucks...but by the time you factor in cost for the power to get the pot up and running,plus your time of actual casting...for $140.00 I really dont think its worth it. It takes one helluva long time to cast and inspect 1500 rb's....
 
last time i bought lead from the scrap guy it was .50 a pound that was 6 mounths ago. it was all from old windows or clean roofin lead. aka cheap shootin
 
Back
Top Bottom