Best Pocket Pistol?

For quality, the Colt & SW are the clear frontrunners

That said, some real interesting history around the spur triggers. Personally I'm a big fan of the Hoods, because Freeman Hood and Charles Converse (the other majority partner in that company) had ties back to a number of other companies, some firearm companies some not; and Hood Firearms evolved into Norwich Arms etc etc...Hood himself had been employed by other gun companies during the Civil War. No time to get into details now but to me it's interesting. I like the "false rifled" barrels that many (not all) of his revolvers had...makes me think twice about commenting too heavily on the shoddy workmanship on so many things in the store today.

So depends on what your focus is.
 
Forehand and wadsworth DA is the best or hard to beat in a 32 rf 6 shooter nice smooth action nice thick chamber walls in my view there the best.
hard to beat one thats in ex shape.
the Wesson and harrington and the frist harrington and richardsons 32 rf 7 shot SA spur trigger are the best quality in them type 32 rf pistols ive seen the W&H being better 7 shots is nice to there made like a swiss watch the way stuff fits together.
 
Well, let's just say that I've regretted selling my Beretta Model 34 in 9mm short for about 30 years! It was a really good pocket pistol (and that's why I sold it).
 
The Remington no 4 is a very well made gun but its a close call i dont like the Colt new lines because if there cylinder stop Bolt arm breaks your hooped.
There not easy guns to fix.
The Remingtons are well made and come apart abit easyer.
Thats my take on it some might like the colts better.
 
The Remington no 4 is a very well made gun but its a close call i dont like the Colt new lines because if there cylinder stop Bolt arm breaks your hooped.
There not easy guns to fix.
The Remingtons are well made and come apart abit easyer.
Thats my take on it some might like the colts better.

Is that a problem with model with the cylinder stop on the front of the receiver, or the side?
 
I'm an avid Forehand and Wadsworth guy, like dingus says, they are pretty good little double action .32's.
Built pretty sturdy, half decent accurate for what they are, thick cylinders and barrel. Even when they get out of time they still tend to be safe to shoot as they get bumped into lockup when you pull the trigger. The side plate for access to internals for cleaning and repairs is a big plus as well.

The hopkins and Allen XL's are nice guns too in my opinion, nice workmanship and actions. On the later spur trigger models you can access the internals easily as well.

I'v heard good things about the Lee Arms Red Jackets as well. I just bought one so I'll keep you posted on my opinion on them. They look like pretty sturdy little spur triggers though.

As for the Remingtons and Colt new lines... I don't have any experience with the Colts but I owned a Remy No.4 in .38 Rimfire and I loved it. Extremely well made gun.

Back to the F&W's. They are getting hard to find but there is one for sale in the EE right now. The seller says it locks and times well and the firing pin is good. The bore looks decent too. I'd grab it if I were you. I was going to but I wanted his Red jacket instead and well I already have 4 F&W's....
 
Is that a problem with model with the cylinder stop on the front of the receiver, or the side?

Both,,,, ive found bolt arms busted in both types the rear cylinder ones i think are better because the cylinders are stronger as they have no cut outs both bolts are hard to fix you have to make new ones from scratch.

If you look at the remy no 4 and the remy smoots they have a line accross the gun where they break apart easy to get to the insides where on the colt your working thru that small side plate cover.
Ive had both ^ but to be honest the F&W DA is a better gun.
There all hard to get parts for but if i was looking to buy a good 32 rf then a H&A DA 6 shooter large frame like that one i showed you i have or a F&W DA are better guns than the Remys or the colts i think because there DA and 6 shooters and just so well made.
Everyone thinks it has to be a remy colt or S&W thats just not the case with the rimfire handguns.
Just get one as minty as you can get.
it also depends what you yourself like to. its not a big deal to buy one of each and just keep the one you like the best and resell the other one. your hand size might make one better than the other as well.
 
Back
Top Bottom