Loading for the Dutch Beaumont service rifle...

Took some 7/8" OD, 1/2" ID 4130 tube and turned a 1" long piece to replicate the back end of a Snider cartridge. Ran in a .338 Win Mag reamer. Pressed in a .300WM case, after annealing most of the length. Trimmed the assembly to Snider length. When I get a chance, I'll fireform it, see what happens.
Starting with 3/4" OD tube would be faster.
On the outside chance that the brass fireforms nicely, this could be a way of making Snider cases.
 
Took some 7/8" OD, 1/2" ID 4130 tube and turned a 1" long piece to replicate the back end of a Snider cartridge. Ran in a .338 Win Mag reamer. Pressed in a .300WM case, after annealing most of the length. Trimmed the assembly to Snider length. When I get a chance, I'll fireform it, see what happens.
Starting with 3/4" OD tube would be faster.
On the outside chance that the brass fireforms nicely, this could be a way of making Snider cases.

it may take a few fireforming loads of corse with the snider some punchs could be used too expand it out
 
I could expand it using tapered plugs until a round ball could be seated; then fire it with a casefull of black.
 
I could expand it using tapered plugs until a round ball could be seated; then fire it with a casefull of black.

it may also take multiple annealings

but in a world where jamison does not make it any more its about the way of getting soild head brass

the guy i got the idea from even made bigger cals using this
 
Took some 7/8" OD, 1/2" ID 4130 tube and turned a 1" long piece to replicate the back end of a Snider cartridge. Ran in a .338 Win Mag reamer. Pressed in a .300WM case, after annealing most of the length. Trimmed the assembly to Snider length. When I get a chance, I'll fireform it, see what happens.
Starting with 3/4" OD tube would be faster.
On the outside chance that the brass fireforms nicely, this could be a way of making Snider cases.

The assembly fireformed very nicely. I was surprised how well the case expanded in front of the steel sleeve. This is definitely a workable way of making .577 cases, assuming access to a lathe and the reamer.
 
The assembly fireformed very nicely. I was surprised how well the case expanded in front of the steel sleeve. This is definitely a workable way of making .577 cases, assuming access to a lathe and the reamer.

a chamber reamer may not be needed although having the inside smooth wouuld be a good idea so chucking reamers would work ok or more improvised drill bits but the inside finish would not be that great

still on the search for someone down here with a cnc lathe no luck
 
A chucking reamer would work, if the size were close enough. The recess for the belt (or rim, depending on the case being used) would still have to be cut. A chambering reamer gives an exact fit for the case including the belt or rim, and I have quite a variety. Run it into the tube until the headspace gauge is flush with the end of the tube. Fast, easy and foolproof. Because the tube already has a 1/2" hole through it, it isn't like reaming a chamber. Turn the diameter ahead of the rim and part off. Reverse, give a inside long chamfer, so the case can expand to full diameter more gradually. Anneal the cases, press them intro the sleeve, and trim to length. Charge and fireform.
Obtained a length of 3/4" 4130 tube, have some ideas for a sequence of operations that will make a supply of these sleeves convenient to make.
 
A chucking reamer would work, if the size were close enough. The recess for the belt (or rim, depending on the case being used) would still have to be cut. A chambering reamer gives an exact fit for the case including the belt or rim, and I have quite a variety. Run it into the tube until the headspace gauge is flush with the end of the tube. Fast, easy and foolproof. Because the tube already has a 1/2" hole through it, it isn't like reaming a chamber. Turn the diameter ahead of the rim and part off. Reverse, give a inside long chamfer, so the case can expand to full diameter more gradually. Anneal the cases, press them intro the sleeve, and trim to length. Charge and fireform.
Obtained a length of 3/4" 4130 tube, have some ideas for a sequence of operations that will make a supply of these sleeves convenient to make.

cool only problem i see is chamber fit with the sniders there is a unknown number of different chamber sizes and the martini henrys there is 30 different known chamber sizes also there is one problem with 4130 it rusts a real light coat of oil will take care of that other then that 4130 is the best bet it could be reused over and over just cut the casing off and punch it out

ive also did the math to get good use of meteral 3/4" long will be a good idea you get something like 14 or 15 out of 1'

with belted magnum casing s being plentyful its a good cheap way of supplying ammo for the martini or snider or even the shorter nitro express rounds
 
Chamber dimensions aren't important - I'm only making these for my own use, so they will be the correct diameter. I could blue or parkerize the steel if I choose.
 
Back
Top Bottom