need help with win 1894

cycle-m

New member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Location
Chatham-Kent ON
win-1.jpg
[/IMG]
I recently purchased a Winchester 1894 24" bbl made in 1915 I would like to know if anybody knows what the indent in the picture is; if it has some purpose or if something was removed from there before.
 
Last edited:
I recently purchased a Winchester 1894 24" bbl made in 1915 I would like to know if anybody knows what the indent in the picture is; if it has some purpose or if something was removed from there before.

The only thing that I can see is that someone tried to install or should I say , tried to fit a tang sight that wasn't made for the Winnie. Can't wait to read others, answers!
 
Never seen that before on a 94. The forward tang sight mounting screw hole(usually plugged) looks oversize as well. Like has been mentioned, someone probably tried to mount some sight there.
 
Somebody got drill happy unfortunately, or used something grotesque to try to make another hole in the upper tang. Winchester would never drill through their name or any of the markings on their guns. Also, if your barrel is 24", you may wish to check to see if it was trimmed back. You could order a 24" barrel on a rifle, but it was special order and there weren't a lot of them ordered that way. Possible yours came 24", but doesn't hurt to check/ Standard length was 26". Not sure about the front tang screw, hard to tell, it is close.
Matt
 
Hello,

I would agree that the tang mounted peep sight idea is the first thing that comes to mind. The problem is that none of these sight would have been made that would not fit flush onto the upper tang. In addition, none would required a hole that large for the rear mounting screw either. It is absolutely not factory original and is a major value deduction to the rifle.

Michael
 
Back
Top Bottom