Need help with a old 45-70 rifle..should I buy it or pass??

Newfie_gun_nut

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Newfoundland
Hey everyone,
I come across this old rifle on nlclassifieds,the link to the add I posted below,

http://www.nlclassifieds.com/classifieds/AntiquesandCollectibles/Miscellaneous/825563

I was wondering if some of you gun guru's can tell me abit about it,if it's worth making a offer on and 6 hours of driving to get it,I do not have any info or pictures on the gun besides what is posted in the add so there's not a lot to go by,I'm not into rifles but I figure if it's a good deal I would just pick it up anyways cause he's willing to take a very small amount of money for it.

Would appreciate any insight you guys may have,

Thanks and Merry Christmas,
Craig
 
I'm not big into Trapdoors, but that looks to me an 1868 Springfield that was converted with the Allin conversion. Too bad someone cut the wood off. Might make a good restoration project at around that price.
 
I'm not big into Trapdoors, but that looks to me an 1868 Springfield that was converted with the Allin conversion. Too bad someone cut the wood off. Might make a good restoration project at around that price.

Thanks for the advice!..he said he's negotiable on price,so I'd say it can be got for 300 or less...if it was close I'd just buy it but not really in the mood to drive 6 hours unless it's a real good deal
 
I'd pass on that one, even at that price. It's been bubba'd.

If you want to get yourself a good trapdoor, look at trapdoorcollector.com. Al Frasca has some really good ones at very decent prices, and will ship to Canada. He leaves prices and photos up of the ones that have been sold, so that you can go through the list and get a good idea of what they are worth.


trapdoor01.jpg


I got this unissued 1884 from him a few years back. Pristine condition
 
I'm not big into Trapdoors, but that looks to me an 1868 Springfield that was converted with the Allin conversion. Too bad someone cut the wood off. Might make a good restoration project at around that price.

If that rifle is a 45-70, it won't be an 1868, which were 50-70's, as were the 1866's, 1869's and 1870's. The 1865's were 58 cal.
The first trapdoors in 45-70 were the 1873's
 
It appears be missing the rear sight. Many of the trapdoors have fairly shallow rifling so you might be limited to jacketed bullets and hard cast slugs or paper patched slugs. I think at $300, the price would be reasonable but I also think having it sent by mail would be preferrable to driving 6 hours plus a lot cheaper. The lock looks a bit rough but that may only be an artifact of the photography. If you can do your own work and can find a salvage 38-55 barrel they do make a fun gun rebarreled to 38-55

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks everyone for the quick advice,you all sove me a few bucks!!..GReatly appreciated!..I'm gonna pass on it unless he will bring it too me Or mail it and take 100$,which I'd say he wouldn't,but if he do I'll keep it for a project and do something like mooncoon said...once again thanks everyone!!!

Merry Christmas,
Craig
 
Back
Top Bottom