Black powder for 458 Winchester Mag and 458 Lott

358Scout

Regular
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Location
Saskatoon
Tinkering with concept of buying a Ruger # 1 in 458 Lott and loading in black powder. The 458 Win.Mag would by all measurements be close to the 45-90
and the 458 Lott around the 45-110 to 45-120 round.

In the future I would like a long range express built on a modern action with a 30 - 32" match barrel also in one of these cartridges.

Any experience with this concept?
 
I have thought of this many times but have not made the committment to buy a rifle to find out so I will be following your thread closely. Why would it not work? Watching. PS - you could buy a No.1 Ruger in these calibers. The only problem may be that any rifle in those calibers may not qualify for competition.
 
The Ruger #1 does not have an exposed hammer and would not qualify for most long range silhouette comps. Best try to find an Browning 1895 High wall if you can . But you could shoot a 458 with black powder and cast bullets lubed for black I Had a Ruger#1 in 500Jefferies and used to shoot 550grcast bullets and 120grFFg just for fun.
 
Many years ago I tried shooting my bolt action .458 with black. I actually found that the perceived recoil was higher with black than with smokeless. All these years later, I still can't figure out why. Nearest I come to an explanation is that I was shooting lighter bullets with the black, and only 509 grainers with the smokeless, could have made the recoil faster and more objectionable.
 
Many years ago I tried shooting my bolt action .458 with black. I actually found that the perceived recoil was higher with black than with smokeless. All these years later, I still can't figure out why. Nearest I come to an explanation is that I was shooting lighter bullets with the black, and only 509 grainers with the smokeless, could have made the recoil faster and more objectionable.

Were you using cast bullets lubed for black ?
 
Many years ago I tried shooting my bolt action .458 with black. I actually found that the perceived recoil was higher with black than with smokeless. All these years later, I still can't figure out why.

I think it is because you have the weight of the powder to push down the barrel as well as the bullet. Black powder burns quickly but there is still a fair volume and weight to move the first few nches

cheers mooncoon
 
One problem you may encounter is that the twist rate and depth of rifling may not be suitable for the cast bullets typically used in black powder. Spin is tied to velocity; stability (for a given mass) depends on spin. Rifling for lead bullets is usually deeper and slower than for jacketed.
Regards,
BR
 
Back
Top Bottom