Express Rifle by Jame Purdey

WR1894

Regular
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
This showed up at my house for me to be the next care taker of a nice rifle
Sold in 1860 this is a Purdey express rifle, these were first made in the early 1850's. Purdeys idea was to use a smaller bore bullet 40 bore or 50 cal with what was condsider a heavy powder charge 2 1/2 drams giving a longer point blank range then the common 16 bore ball gun at this time using 1 1/2 drams of powder. In the original oak case is a bullet mold and also the bullet sizer which is the steel block mounted on the wood legs, powder measure (not orginal) a capper and a ivory container with spare nipples. The gun is in very nice condition and as the my poor pictures shows even good colour on the barrels showing nice pattern. Barrels are shiney inside so all I need to do now is cast some bullets and see how it shoots


IMG-20121216-00359_zps23ef131a.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG-20121216-00360_zps98f2bab3.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG-20121216-00362_zps61a01c1f.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG-20121216-00361_zpsdf251ef9.jpg


Just so you know I am very happy
John
 
Thanks for the replies, the gun has bore of .500 and the bullets are .488 in diameter with wings on them I will get some pictures latter today of a bullet. Of what I have read the loading procedure is the 2 1/2 drams of powder, a bore size wad then the bullet is patcted and loaded. I have a note to Purdey to see what I can find out on the history of the gun there are initals on the gun plus on the label of the case.
The load for the gun is marked on the James Purdey label of the case plus engraved on the inside of the patch box which make it nice at least you have a starting point when I go to shot it.
John
 
Wow!! That is a fantastic work of art you have there. It will be interesting to hear the history behind it. Would be just awesome to let a few rounds downrange with it. Congrats
 
Yes I am very fortunate to have this, I have a picture of the rifle together and also of one of the bullets with the sizing die serial # to the gun

IMG-20121224-00367_zps97dabed3.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG-20121224-00366_zpse6b64253.jpg
[/IMG]

As time allows and information is found out I will update, the old guys spent a lot of time expermenting to make things work and we only know of some of the things that work and a lot will be lost if we don't do our part to keep this history alive
Merry Christmas
John
 
what puzzles me is how did they make the mold? A belted round ball mold is easy to make but an elongated slug with 2 or 4 wings is an entirely different matter. Was the body of the mold made in 2 pieces then fastened together?

cheers mooncoon
 
I will post some pictures of the mold, I have this plus a 12 bore Westley Richard with the winged bullet with the mold. On the price all I can say they bring a lot of money this gun came from a good friend who passed away and we settled on a price before that was very reasonalbe
John
 
Hi John, that is a very fine rifle as I know you know. I would like to see the gun when I get back in the Spring. I know the previous owner of the gun and you were very fortunate to have him as a friend. Merry Christmas and obviously Santa got your letter this year. ;)

Brian
 
Here are some pictures of bullet molds for 2 groove rifles, the bronze mold is for a 1848 Westley Richards 12 bore rifle the steel mold is for the Purdey express rifle and you can see it has 2 small wings

IMG-20121230-00374_zps3ce1654d.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG-20121230-00375_zps5576ae20.jpg
[/IMG]
 
Back
Top Bottom