Mystery 1860 Army

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
I recently bought this gun and it has no makers marks on it, in fact it has very few markings at all. There is nothing stamped on top of the barrel, no proof marks.. only a serial number in the usual place at the bottom where it connects with the frame. The frame has no markings at all not even a serial number which is odd. The steel back-strap has the last three digits of the serial number stamped on the bottom.
The cylinder has a vivid naval battle scene and the words "ENGAGED 16 MAY 1843" as well as the "PATENT N." seen in the picture.
The gun has an over-all plumb brown patina with scattered light rust through-out. The gun is very well made and locks up tight, I tried the cylinder on my original 1860 and it fits very well.
I took the gun up to the range and on the fifth shot one of the nipples blew out, this caused the hammer to #### to the next chamber and the hammer wound up resting on the live cap. I still had one shot left and no way of unloading it and as there was nobody next to me on the right I shot it sideways so if the other nipple blew it would go into the wall. Turns out someone had replaced the nipples with some undersized ones that had the right thread pitch but were too small in diameter. Fortunately I didn't wind up with a nipple stuck in my forehead but I did get quite a blast of particles.
I have replaced the offending nipples with some stainless steel ones of the right size and will shoot this gun again next week-end.
If anyone has any idea of who made this gun I would really like to know. Thanks and a great New Year to all.

1860ColtUnknownmaker001_zps33f43523-1_zps595f67fa.jpg

1860ColtUnknownmaker005_zps2b077eea-1_zps72f3fe94.jpg

1860ColtUnknownmaker008_zps07587861.jpg
 
Last edited:
That is a mystery Skinny 1950,

I have no idea where the cylinder came from.
I think guns were put together after the war from various left over spare parts.....or perhaps from Bannerman.

One of the frame screws looks different and the missing serial numbers and frame markings might suggest this???

The M1860 shown below is Sn # 92346---manufactured in early 1863.
The Sn showing on your gun is 27815?????
Quite a bit earlier.

David

1860ColtArmynewSn005.jpg


DSC08827.jpg


FrameSn1860Coltnew2.jpg


The principal inspector and sub-inspector's final acceptance cartouches on this pistol.

DSC08962-2.jpg

DSC08973-1.jpg



This martial 51 Navy was manufactured in 1857 and shows the 'Engaged 16 May 1843' on the cylinder.

1851ColtNavyoutsidesecondsession002.jpg


202kbs1851ColtNavyoutside013.jpg


These U.S. frame marked- inspector cartouched earlier martial '51 Army Navies are becoming more difficult to find in the U.S. (With or without any remaining original finish.)

1851ColtNavyoutsidesecondsession014.jpg


Model1851ColtNavyleftframeUSmartial.jpg


This '51 martial Navy Colt was purchased by the U.S. Government in 1857 for use by the Army and possibly saw use on the frontier and later during the Civil War.

233kbs1851ColtNavyfullleftsideoutsi.jpg
 
Last edited:
I have been advised to remove the picture with the serial number and I have done so. I have read that the four screw frames were only made up to serial number 25,000 and in any case I am pretty sure this gun is a reproduction.
If it were made in Italy it would have proof marks and a date stamp on it so I am thinking this one was possibly made in the U.S.
 
The first repros were made in Belgium in the 1960s. Marketed by Centennial Arms/Shore Galleries in Chicago.
 
I have been advised to remove the picture with the serial number and I have done so. I have read that the four screw frames were only made up to serial number 25,000 and in any case I am pretty sure this gun is a reproduction.
If it were made in Italy it would have proof marks and a date stamp on it so I am thinking this one was possibly made in the U.S.

I saw the Ser# before you took the picture down compare the number stamp numbers to the orignal other one posted in this thread your number stamps do not look antique to me.
the gun looks to be a repo of some sort there were lots made.
The number 7 in the old stamps is the dead giveaway.
 
This is a Model 1860 Colt Army manufactured in early 1862.
No original finish left and nothing really remaining of the cylinder scene.
The serial numbers are quite clear however .Sn#485595.

David

DSC01021.jpg


ModelColtArmyRevolvermanufacturedinearly1862DSC03943.jpg


Interestingly enough the sub-inspector's final acceptance cartouche is still faintly visible on the right grip.

DSC03895.jpg


-------------------------------------------------------------------

IMHO....this is a very nice principal inspector's final acceptance stamp on a 58 Remington Army revolver.
Orville W. Ainsworth. (O.W.A.)

OrvilleWAinsworthcartoucheOWA.jpg


NewModel58RemingtonArmyRevolver.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom