winchester 1873 38-40

recurve319

New member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Location
Riverview NB
I got my hands on this rifle and was wondering what it's worth?


P1201356_zpse0120d87.jpg

P1201357_zps54b25fd3.jpg

P1201359_zpsfc0efdc8.jpg

P1201360_zps62d666b8.jpg
 
Hello,

Could you take the rifle outdoors into the bright shade and take some close ups of the wood to metal fit of both the fore end and the butt stock?
What is the full serial number of the rifle? What is the condition of the bore?

Thanks
Michael
 
Beautiful looking rifle...great caliber as well.
No need posting the full serial number all we woudl like is the range...if it is 4, 5 or six digit, the first two or three number is all.
Better pics woudl help though from what I see it looks pretty good...my only question would be the condition of the stocks and the upper tang (sometimes they are broken).
 
I tried taking new pics but my camera sucks.....or maybe I suck at taking pics.LOL

P1211369_zpsadd84a7b.jpg

P1211368_zpscca0d2eb.jpg

P1211367_zps06c160e3.jpg

P1211366_zps17ed1b50.jpg

P1211364_zps517aa029.jpg

P1211362_zps30b38c0f.jpg


The stock fits really nice on the action and there are no cracks in the stock. There are some pretty big gouges in the stock though. The serial #is a 6 digit 234###b.
I tried looking down the bore and you can see the grooves but they are not very sharp. I really want to sell this but I don't want to get taken on the deal.

Thanks for your help Rick.
 
Hello,

Your Model 1873 was manufactured during 1888. If you would like the exact day on which the receiver was serialized you can contact the Cody Firearms Museum. Usually the rifle was fully assembled and in the Winchester warehouse after a few weeks of the serialization date. They can also prepare a "Factory Letter" specific to your rifle. It will contain the date the rifle entered and was later shipped from the Winchester warehouse and the original configuration of the gun. An example is shown below. http://www.bbhc.org/explore/firearms/firearms-records/
1892Cody.jpg


Based on the photos the rifle has little or no original bluing left on it. The wood is all original and has not been altered. The gun is below what most serious collectors are looking for. Based onthe photos and the poor bore The max is in the $1200 to $1400 range.

Michael
 
Back
Top Bottom