I just had an Antique revolver confirmed as "Antique" status by CFR Firearms Technical Division. They told me, in writing, that I am required to "Register" the revolver to obtain a RCMP letter to confirm its Antique status.
I checked the link the RCMP provided to Register it as suggested. The Registration site clearly states it is to "Register Restricted and Prohibited Firearms" and Antiques are exempt from Registration. They confirmed, this is "Antique Status" and therefore Registration should not apply. As they confirmed the revolver as Antique what is it that I would be Registering? My understanding of the Firearms Act is that nowhere in the act is an Antique Gun defined as a "Firearm" (Restricted, Prohibited or otherwise). As it is not a "Firearm" under the Firearms Act why would I need to Register it to obtain letter to confirm its Antique Status?
Does anyone have the RCMP letter? Did you have to Register your Antique?
I checked the link the RCMP provided to Register it as suggested. The Registration site clearly states it is to "Register Restricted and Prohibited Firearms" and Antiques are exempt from Registration. They confirmed, this is "Antique Status" and therefore Registration should not apply. As they confirmed the revolver as Antique what is it that I would be Registering? My understanding of the Firearms Act is that nowhere in the act is an Antique Gun defined as a "Firearm" (Restricted, Prohibited or otherwise). As it is not a "Firearm" under the Firearms Act why would I need to Register it to obtain letter to confirm its Antique Status?
Does anyone have the RCMP letter? Did you have to Register your Antique?


















































