French 1873 revolver, which calibre to convert it to?

1fastjeep

Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello folks,
I am getting a newly manufactured cylinder for my 1873 french ordnance revolver.
My plan is to bore out the chambers so I can shoot a more modern (internal lubricated) ammo.

Any suggestion on which calibre I should go with? Will 45 auto-rim be a good idea?

Thanks
 
If it's new-manufacture, why not just it shaved/shaped to .45 ACP ?


.45 ACP is a much easier conversion to do, and allows use of much more accessible brass.
 
The factory chambers are very close to accepting .455 Webley rounds. I had a friend who had one that was reamed to .455 and it shot fiochhi .455 ammo no trouble. The barrel I slugged measure .451 so you could easily use .452 lead cowboy bullets.
 
A new chamber in a new cylinder would headspace on the case mouth, standard ACP method. Just like a Ruger Blackhawk convertible.
 
I'd go with 455 webley since ammo's available, it's very close already and there's less risk of issues down the road with some plus pressure .45 loads accidentally being fired through it.

Plus odds are you'll end up with something else In 455 anyways.
 
May I ask who is making the new cylinder for you?


Hello folks,
I am getting a newly manufactured cylinder for my 1873 french ordnance revolver.
My plan is to bore out the chambers so I can shoot a more modern (internal lubricated) ammo.

Any suggestion on which calibre I should go with? Will 45 auto-rim be a good idea?

Thanks
 
Back
Top Bottom