Help identify cap & ball

Marks under the barrel

Hi everyone,
I finally got home today. First thing I did was to take the old gun apart as suggested.
Everything went smoothly (I was able to pull the key with my fingers)(Thank you TIRIAQ)
Here is what I found under the barrel
See the pictures:
http://s613.beta.photobucket.com/user/guygeorges/library/MarksOldGun
Here is what I think are some characteristics of the gun:
-The proof marks are British, Birmingham 1868-1925 definitive black powder proof for shotgun
- 14 gauge (you where right gabrielguitars )
What I don’t have a clue about
- What does the 4 means
- What the does the WC (or may be a WO or WD) means
Do you think I can shoot the gun? If yes : How do I proceed
Thanks ,
GuyGeorges
 
the four looks to be perhaps and assembly mark to show that all individual parts are for one specific gun. If so that is puzzling because all of the ones that I have seen have been roman numerals chopped in with a cold chisel. eg 4 would be / V or 8 would be V///
 
Hi everyone,
I finally got home today. First thing I did was to take the old gun apart as suggested.
Everything went smoothly (I was able to pull the key with my fingers)(Thank you TIRIAQ)
Here is what I found under the barrel
See the pictures:
http://s613.beta.photobucket.com/user/guygeorges/library/MarksOldGun
Here is what I think are some characteristics of the gun:
-The proof marks are British, Birmingham 1868-1925 definitive black powder proof for shotgun
- 14 gauge (you where right gabrielguitars )
What I don’t have a clue about
- What does the 4 means
- What the does the WC (or may be a WO or WD) means
Do you think I can shoot the gun? If yes : How do I proceed
Thanks ,
GuyGeorges

If you want to shoot your shotgun you may want to have it checked out by a competent gunsmith first. If you don't want to do that then you could "proof" it yourself by putting a charge in it, sticking it in an old tire and firing it with a string from a safe distance.

You've got to be very careful with old guns. You never know where a part might be worn out. A friend had an old single shot percussion 16 ga "fowling piece" that looked very good in all respects and he shot it for quite a while until one day the nipple blew out and a piece nicked his ear.
 
Back
Top Bottom