.45 Schofield_Thinning the Rim

Swaging the rim is easier. Bore out a 7/8-1" piece of round bar with 15/32" drill, polish the interior and countersink to rim depth required. Place case in die and swage in a heavy vise or arbour press. Made 100s of .455" Webley from 45 LC.
 
I once used a drill press to thin one hundred 100 .45 schofield cases. I chucked a hardwood dowel in the drill press and thinned it until it would slide snugly into the case, then put a steel pin in the centre of the dowel that was long enough to poke out of the primer hole. When spinning, the case on the dowel is lowered until it rests on top of a stationary dowel held in a vise, so that the steel pin poking out of the case rests in a hole drilled into the stationary dowel; this seemed to hold the case in alignment fairly well during rotation. I used a small needle file with one smooth edge to thin the rims, checking with a micrometer and then chambering them for a perfect fit. It probably took me two or three minutes to set up and thin each case. I used cutting oil as a lubricant.

It was a bit of an effort, but it was free.
 
I once used a drill press to thin one hundred 100 .45 schofield cases. I chucked a hardwood dowel in the drill press and thinned it until it would slide snugly into the case, then put a steel pin in the centre of the dowel that was long enough to poke out of the primer hole. When spinning, the case on the dowel is lowered until it rests on top of a stationary dowel held in a vise, so that the steel pin poking out of the case rests in a hole drilled into the stationary dowel; this seemed to hold the case in alignment fairly well during rotation. I used a small needle file with one smooth edge to thin the rims, checking with a micrometer and then chambering them for a perfect fit. It probably took me two or three minutes to set up and thin each case. I used cutting oil as a lubricant.

It was a bit of an effort, but it was free.

Great Post ^ I to have used a drill press but the ideas in this post are a big imporvement over what i did.
I also like the Swageing idea in the next post back.
 
Back
Top Bottom