Importing antiques from US of A

kennymo

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Location
Manitoba
I've recently become interested in purchasing some antique status firearms from the States. Are there any special precautions I should be taking when getting these shipped across the border? Has anyone experienced any customs hiccups or anything of that nature? Any advise to smooth things out would be appreciated.
 
This will seem useless, but read, read, and read some more. There is no real way to smooth things out... border officials play their own games.

Absolutely best thing you can do is know canadian and american antique law top to bottom by heart, then read this forum top to bottom. All the relevant info is on here, and the rest is exactly as it seems... inconclusive and unknown.. It'll seem a bit risky to get something shipped, and it is, that's why people pay more for antiques that're already in Canada.

Also this thread has been asked before and answered before. Digging more in this forum will yield results.
 
The eaisest way; have it shipped to a receiver on the American side with antique paperwork, cross the border and bring it back yourself, making sure to declare it. You will be going for a visit in secondary customs.

You can have them shipped, I've had a few shipped to me, no issues yet, I just get the seller to put "antique firearm" on the customs label.
 
I have worked with Borderview three times now to import antique guns - it costs a bit (If I remember correctly it is $75 for handling and make the arrangements for an antique - non-antiques are much more expensive). They will hold the gun while you get an RCMP letter and then ship it directly to you.

In terms of costs, you have to pay (1) shipping the gun from the seller to the exporter (2) handling fees (3) shipping into Canada and (4) Customs (although I have read here that 100 year old guns should be exempt - will check that out the next time I do an import). So - factor in these costs when you are thinking about importing a gun - sometimes the deal isn't so great when you add those costs.

Many US dealers and Auction houses won't ship antiques directly to Canada - some will (then you don't have to go through an exporter). I have found it easier to get the RCMP letter and then have it shipped, but as you will read in this forum - the RCMP letter is not required.
 
Since the antique definition for firearms is different between Canada and the US you have to be absolutely certain that it qualifies as an antique in Canada. If it is an antique in the US but not in Canada it imore than likely falls into the prohibited class in Canada.
 
I did some more digging around the site after I posted this and there seems to be a hundred different opinions on the subject. For my first attempt I'm looking for dealers with good reviews in the CGN. Thinking about IMA perhaps? Anyone dealt with them recently? Or any other recomendations?
 
The eaisest way; have it shipped to a receiver on the American side with antique paperwork, cross the border and bring it back yourself, making sure to declare it. You will be going for a visit in secondary customs.

You can have them shipped, I've had a few shipped to me, no issues yet, I just get the seller to put "antique firearm" on the customs label.

Is there any truth to the rumour that Homeland Security can mess with a Canadian transporting an antique within the US? That doesn't seem like it would be a pleasant end to a quick vacation across the border.:(
 
I have had antiques shipped from I.M.A. and have also brought them over the border in my vehicle with no problems.Just have proof from the Canadian firearms and the U.S. seller that the firearm is an antique in both countries.
 
Is there any truth to the rumour that Homeland Security can mess with a Canadian transporting an antique within the US? That doesn't seem like it would be a pleasant end to a quick vacation across the border.:(

They shouldn't, and there's no law against it, but I can't say you won't get hassled. I know the ATF doesn't want you to put muzzle loaders on your form 6 (I asked).

I'd make sure I had documentation that it was an antique, there is the RCMP antique letter, and an ATF equivalent, failing that I'd get a letter from a gunsmith.
 
thing

Quote Originally Posted by kennymo View Post
Is there any truth to the rumour that Homeland Security can mess with a Canadian transporting an antique within the US? That doesn't seem like it would be a pleasant end to a quick vacation across the border.
They shouldn't, and there's no law against it, but I can't say you won't get hassled. I know the ATF doesn't want you to put muzzle loaders on your form 6 (I asked).

I'd make sure I had documentation that it was an antique, there is the RCMP antique letter, and an ATF equivalent, failing that I'd get a letter from a gunsmith.

03-15-2013, 11:47 AM
boogieman

I have had antiques shipped from I.M.A. and have also brought them over the border in my vehicle with no problems.Just have proof from the Canadian firearms and the U.S. seller that the firearm is an antique in both countries.

Is there any truth to the rumour that Homeland Security can mess with a Canadian transporting an antique within the US? That doesn't seem like it would be a pleasant end to a quick vacation across the border.:(

To me there are three smart safe ways 1. is buy your antique firearm in Canada from a reputable dealer. 2. go through one of the services for importing firearms such as http://www.borderview.com/services/for-individuals/buy-on-your-behalf-service-details/
3. Buy it from a reputable seller in the U.S. who knows antiques , one that is FFL licensed and licensed to export. Requires a RCMP letter sent to him to be shipped with the firearm and proper invoice-- documentation will be on the customs form. Remember all pkgs are subject to ex ray and or inspection so the BS of just putting antique on it is just advice to get it held up for who knows how long. H Wally had a real good statement. Border Officials play their own games.
I wish to once again as I did on another thread, try to help the original poster. And again I am referring to the act of having a supposed antique fire arm mailed to some place in the U.S. and then going on vacation , picking it up and driving back. Please don't listen to thing or boogieman they are handing out bad advice. Some of you may not understand who Homeland security is and who they are not--they are a department made up of many U.S. government agencies, such as Customs officers, Border Patrol, Secret Service and more. So yes when you reach U. S. Canada border you are dealing with Canadian customs and U.S. home land security may be involved and things may go ok if you have proper documentation, such as proper invoice from seller, RCMP letter and other proof. that it is actually an antique firearm. HOWEVER where things can go bad is on the way to the border, some small town sheriff may stop you for speeding or what ever whim, happen to spot your so called antique when he looks under the seat. When he sees a single action colt or maybe God help you a-- broom handle Mauser. You are now a foreigner in a foreign land with a WEAPON , The same class as any terrorist you will be slammed over the hood of the car, handcuffed and BTW hold on to the paper work you have because it will come in handy to wipe when you crap yourself. You do not have any rights as a Canadian with a weapon in the U.S.
 
Last edited:
Clearly you've had some bad experiences. I'm only going from my experience and the law. I've had 2 antique muzzle loaders shipped, one modern muzzle loader shipped (antique in the US, non restricted in Canada), one antique pistol shipped and brought back one modern muzzle loading pistol in my car (which i registered and got an ATT for ahead of time). I've had no issues other then a trip into secondary customs with my new revolver when I declared it. Have the seller put "antique firearm" on the package is what the RCMP and CBSA told me when I called them.

In addition I've been to the states a few times with modern guns and my form 6, also no issues.
 
We live close to the Montana border in Sask and and have called Havre Montana our main shopping center for all my life -66 years - so have pretty much seen it all. Personally --no real bad experiences but know lots of people that have had and not just with firearms. You can not buy loading supplies, ammunition or a rifle scope down there and go driving around with them. As a firearms dealer in the 80s, I drove down imported all kinds of stuff. Seven AMT 45 longslides and ten thousand pistol primers and powder one trip I remember.:) That was before 911 :) My advice is to remember that you do not have any rights down there and you can not tell the U.S. authorities what the rules are. Canadian Customs is not who you have to worry about.
 
Clearly you've had some bad experiences. I'm only going from my experience and the law. I've had 2 antique muzzle loaders shipped, one modern muzzle loader shipped (antique in the US, non restricted in Canada), one antique pistol shipped and brought back one modern muzzle loading pistol in my car (which i registered and got an ATT for ahead of time). I've had no issues other then a trip into secondary customs with my new revolver when I declared it. Have the seller put "antique firearm" on the package is what the RCMP and CBSA told me when I called them.

In addition I've been to the states a few times with modern guns and my form 6, also no issues.
Thing: I want to also address your statement above, I have no idea who you are , your profile is one of those secret ones so why you are running around in the U.S. with guns I have no idea. and yes you are right with a form 6 you can import firearms to the U.S. and also do a temporary importation with this form for hunting, guys use around here to take their firearms to the U.S. for prairie dog hunting but the difference is you have a cleared by U.S. customs form and paperwork with you that says it is ok to be in the U.S. with that firearm or firearms and the purpose. When you are on your little vacation and pick up a firearm in the U.S. and are heading back to the border pieces of paper that say antique firearm, letter from a gunsmith doesn't cut it. Thanks for at least listening to my opinion., and do what you want.
 
I'm not sure what you're insinuating, but I've never broken a firearm law in either country and I personally take great pains to ensure that I'm legal what ever I'm doing.

I invite the OP to look up the relevant laws and decide for himself.
 
I would say just go for it. If you find a seller that will not ship to Canada, Prophet River firearms will import it for you through their US branch. The last one I sent through them cost me $400.
If the seller will ship to Canada and you want to be absolutely safe, apply for the antique letter. Let the seller know that you need to get the status letter before they ship it to you. When you get the letter (approx 3 weeks) send them an e mail cope of the letter for them to tape to the outside of the package.
That way if customs decides to open the package, there is no guessing. PM me if you need more advice
 
Back
Top Bottom