Winchester 1894...

667

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
127   0   0
Location
Ont.
According to the ser. no. manufactured in 1906.

.32WS

Appears complete and functional.... Bore looks nice...

Value..? Wall hanger..??? Shooter..??

1894a_zpsb9e21b9d.jpg


1894i_zps5c38a864.jpg


1894j_zps5c5e7376.jpg
 
That rifle looks like it might be an original, unmessed with one, and if the photo lighting is correct, it still has a lot of blueing on it. I'd say it was collectable. As to value, hard to say, as I've no experience with the 32 Special. I'd say roughly $1,000 to $1,400 but that is only a half-educated guess.
 
I would be very careful with those screws. A buddy and myself were asked by a less experienced friend to carry out a full disassembly of his 1923 manufactured 30-30 Winchester 1894 rifle. A nice heirloom from his grandfather that settled in the Cypress Hills district. The reciever steel and screws are butter soft compared to more modern manufacture.
 
Running the see. no. Indicates manufacture date of 1906.


IIRC :yingyang: , nickel-steel was causing too much "wear & tear" on the Winchester tooling equipment :nest: , so from serial numbers 45,000 - 75,000 for the .32-40's and the .38-55's Winchester were switched to "Extra Steel" barrels [information from Sam Fadala].
 
Sorry to say ....but my 1910(Madis) Winny 30-30 rifle also is nickle steel stamped....ser# 474###. so they only switched for the 32-40 and 38-55 calibers?

other lists of serial numbers lists mine also as made in 1909 .
 
Last edited:
Sorry to say ....but my 1909 Winny 30-30 rifle also is nickle steel stamped....ser# 474###. so they only switched for the 32-40 and 38-55 calibers?


From what my (understandably limited) understanding is, yes for that serial number range :cheers: - and the reason I brought it up was b/c of the calibre mentioned in the OP....:yingyang:
 
Never saw a .38-55 or .32-40 with a nickel steel barrel, mine is in the 200,000 range and is regular steel. The nickel steel never even came out until the .30WCF. I can consult my old catalogues, but I think you COULD get nickel steel as an option in the older calibres, but it wasn't standard. All the other calibres were stamped "Nickel Steel Barrel, Especially for Smokeless Powder" until some time in the 20's. After that, they had "NICKEL STEEL" in large capital letters.

The rear sight on that rifle is the special one for the .32WS calibre. Mike Venturino incorrectly calls it the "special smokeless" rear sight, but it was not made for smokeless powder. It was made so that you have more elevation adjustment, allowing for use with both factory ammo, and BP reloads. Notice that the "smokeless 50 and 100 yds." has a line pointing to the lowest adjustment. With BP and lead bullets you put the sight almost all the way up for that range.

The .32WS is about the least common chambering in the 1894, and it is a great collectable as well as a good shooter. I would be proud to own that rifle!
 
Back to the nickel steel barrel,I have a 1894 winnie same markings on barrel 30wcf (30-30) takedown half round half octagon serial number
302### acording to (madis) book 1904 year mfg on barrel says nickel steel barrel especially for smokeless powder.
 
All the smokeless calibres had that marking, from the start and into the 20's at least. The Nickel Steel stamping is also on 1895's, 92's, 1907's, etc. I have never seen it on .38-55 and .32-40's though, and that is probably why those calibres were the cheapest rifles in the catalogues. My 1892 in .32WCF has a nickel steel barrel, but my .38WCF does not. My old .38-55 1894 has its bore kind of pitted and washed out from smokeless loads.
 
Looks like a decent old 94. The rear sight IS the special smokeless sight only available in the .32 WS. The sight was graduated for both smokeless and lower powered black powder reloads. The .32/40 and .38/55 were available with nickel steel barrels but only on special order and are not often seen. I sold a similar 94 in .32 WS with half round barrel, full mag(more rare) last year for $800(sold fast) but I don't think the blueing was as good as yours. Even though production was low in .32WS, the chambering is the LEAST desirable of the five 1894 chamberings, go figure. Value? I would say in the neighbourhood of $1000 and definitely shootable and collectable. My 2 cents.
 
I would say $800 to $1000. Though it looks like a good honest 1894 - which is not always an easy find - there really is not that much original, dark bluing left on the rifle, "appears" to be graying unless that is the lighting. Also, as Mike noted, the 32 SPL, and I don't know why either, is no easy sell. I like the cartridge, and have a couple rifles in the caliber, but for some reason, it is still shunned a bit by a lot of collectors. Again, not sure why. Yes, that is the Smokeless Sight. And there are 38-55s and 32-40s out there - later special ordered guns - with nickel steel barrels. I have two 38-55s and one 32-40 with NS barrels. Nice, honest 1894. Interesting look with the Smokeless sight.
Cheers,
Matt
 
I think Matt74 has a much better knowledge of Model 1894 values that I do, so my half-educated guess as to value range in my earlier post looks like it was too high by a fair amount.
 
i believe that rear sight is quite rare. It was only used on the .32 Special rifles.

It is common on that calibre. It was also available as a separate item to put on other calibres. It is often called the "smokeless sight" in error, simply because it has the word "smokeless" on it. The .32WS was designed so that you could shoot factory smokeless rounds through it, then reload them with black powder and lead bullets.

Of course, there was no way that you could hit the 100yd. target with BP loads from a smokeless sighted rifle (think the sights on the .30WCF.) The .32WS sight allowed enough adjustment that you COULD shoot BOTH smokeless and BP loads without installing a new set of sights. The "Smokeless" and "50 and 100yds." was the setting for factory smokeless rounds. For BP, you put it almost all the way up. For some reason, people seem to think it was a special sight for smokeless powder, when, in fact, it was a special dual purpose sight.

Book value be danged, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the .32WS, and it is a very interesting calibre. Collectors are a weird lot, they disdain round barrel rifles too, even though there were 9 octagon barrels made for every round one. And the .32WS was the least common chambering. Go figure!
 
It is common on that calibre. It was also available as a separate item to put on other calibres. It is often called the "smokeless sight" in error, simply because it has the word "smokeless" on it. The .32WS was designed so that you could shoot factory smokeless rounds through it, then reload them with black powder and lead bullets.

Of course, there was no way that you could hit the 100yd. target with BP loads from a smokeless sighted rifle (think the sights on the .30WCF.) The .32WS sight allowed enough adjustment that you COULD shoot BOTH smokeless and BP loads without installing a new set of sights. The "Smokeless" and "50 and 100yds." was the setting for factory smokeless rounds. For BP, you put it almost all the way up. For some reason, people seem to think it was a special sight for smokeless powder, when, in fact, it was a special dual purpose sight.

Book value be danged, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the .32WS, and it is a very interesting calibre. Collectors are a weird lot, they disdain round barrel rifles too, even though there were 9 octagon barrels made for every round one. And the .32WS was the least common chambering. Go figure!

Interesting bit about the sight.
I agree about some "collectors" being a weird lot, lol. One of my favorites - maybe even two of my favorites in my collection - are 32 WS. Caliber or barrel type doesn't really matter to me, I just like lots of strong original blue and a nice piece of wood.
Thanks for sharing that info.
Matt
 
The sight was introduced in 1902 same year the .32 WS was introduced. They were available as a special order item for $3.00 extra according to the old catalogue. Discontinued in 1920. They were made expressly for the .32 rifle and every one I have seen has been on a .32 WS rifle except for one I saw on a .30 WCF saddle ring carbine that was obviously a later add on. On the side they are marked Smokeless .32 WS- M94. They briing a slight premium over standard sights when found on a .32 WS model 94.
 
Back
Top Bottom