My new 3 band Snider MkII** arrived in the mail yesterday!! Got it from a fellow gun nut (thank you Terry!).
I bought it for a very reasonable price, as it needs a full resto to get back to being a shooter again. Figured if I can't save it, I at least have a really good example of a snider action for my collection, or I have all of the parts to restore a full length Sporter if one ever comes my way.
It's all there except the firing pin, and firing pin protector. The stock is cracked where the action sits, but is very repairable. I pulled it apart last night just to see what's what, every looks good and is very serviceable. Most of the original browning is there, and from the outside it looks great.
The only thing that is in terrible shape is the bore. It's very rusty, fouled and pitted so I won't know what I got until I knock down the scale and see what lays underneith all of the crap. I plugged the end and sprayed a good amount of heavy duty penetrating oil into the bore, we'll see if it loosens some of the crap. There's rifling in there still present so I hope if I can knock down the bad spots and maybe, just maybe I can make her a half way decent shooter!
Just wondering if some of you have every had success cleaning a snider with a rusty bore and if so what did you use to polish it up?? Any help would be great as I really would like to save this thing.
Here's some pics
Any help in getting that bore clean would be great!! I really want to make this gun a regular shooter!
I bought it for a very reasonable price, as it needs a full resto to get back to being a shooter again. Figured if I can't save it, I at least have a really good example of a snider action for my collection, or I have all of the parts to restore a full length Sporter if one ever comes my way.
It's all there except the firing pin, and firing pin protector. The stock is cracked where the action sits, but is very repairable. I pulled it apart last night just to see what's what, every looks good and is very serviceable. Most of the original browning is there, and from the outside it looks great.
The only thing that is in terrible shape is the bore. It's very rusty, fouled and pitted so I won't know what I got until I knock down the scale and see what lays underneith all of the crap. I plugged the end and sprayed a good amount of heavy duty penetrating oil into the bore, we'll see if it loosens some of the crap. There's rifling in there still present so I hope if I can knock down the bad spots and maybe, just maybe I can make her a half way decent shooter!
Just wondering if some of you have every had success cleaning a snider with a rusty bore and if so what did you use to polish it up?? Any help would be great as I really would like to save this thing.
Here's some pics
Any help in getting that bore clean would be great!! I really want to make this gun a regular shooter!
Last edited:



















































