Just had my Mauser 71/84 case coloured by Oskar Kob

HUNTERROD

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Location
Cape Breton
Hey , just thought I'd share it with my fellow members
He did a spectacular. Job, I'm unsure how to post pics but if
Anyone can help me out, I'd like to put them on here to let
People see, I'd say at this point, the only one in the country done
I have a repeating short rifle, bore is mint

I love shooting it, but my dominion ammo is cracking
Anyone help with some gd brass or ammo?

If you can help me with pics getting on here or ammo
Text my cell 902 623-2279

Thanks......

Rod....
 
Rod, if your brass is cracking, it needs to be annealed to soften it up and make it more elastic. All brass gets brittle if it is worked enough. The way I anneal my brass is to attach a shell holder to my hand drill and then insert a brass casing and slowly rotate the drill with the brass sitting in the flame of a propane torch. I do this in the dark. When the brass starts getting red, I immediately plunge it into a can of water. Don't heat it up hotter than a dull red glow in the dark. Done. This lets me keep using the brass for 20 years or more.
 
Brass is cracking in base necks are fine

I'm willing to purchase some cases , been told
To use 4570 or 4590 or 348 Winchester, fire form
With 5 or 6 gr of unique or bullseye to blow the cases out
Then do the annealing bit to them, the full resize ,
4570 cases are a wee short, but I don't have issue with that
I have 60 dominion loads, which id rather keep with the gun
For sake of having original ammo, I'd like to find Bertram
Or bell cases even if its just 20 cases, it would help
 
Last edited:
I've been on their site, never saw it, , must be somewheres
In the country that has it? There are surplus rifles being sold
How are shooters feeding them, lol, buffalo arms won't ship
Brass even u primed to Canada ? I don't get it. Shotshell
Brass cases no problem? But not rifle brass? It's very unfair
To us 43 Mauser guys. Buy a rifle and gd luck finding
Ammo for it, the price people want for the dominion ammo
Is out to lunch. 6$ a round in some places? Joe salter had. Box on
His site 75$ in the u.s. , its still sitting there. To be honest
There's no reason those cartridges should be worth more than
50$ tops, you can buy 4570 ammo cheaper, you can buy 458
Win Mag cheaper, bell makes 43 brass, Bertram, but yet hardly
Any gunship will even take it In for you , one shop quoted me
100$ for box of 20 Bertram cases, ? Not acceptable
That's highway robbery. Buffalo had Bertram new brass
For 60$ and bell brass for 40$, now being our money is pretty
Well on par, why can't our Canadian gunships do the same?
 
I've been on their site, never saw it, , must be somewheres
In the country that has it? There are surplus rifles being sold
How are shooters feeding them, lol, buffalo arms won't ship
Brass even u primed to Canada ? I don't get it. Shotshell
Brass cases no problem? But not rifle brass? It's very unfair
To us 43 Mauser guys. Buy a rifle and gd luck finding
Ammo for it, the price people want for the dominion ammo
Is out to lunch. 6$ a round in some places? Joe salter had. Box on
His site 75$ in the u.s. , its still sitting there. To be honest
There's no reason those cartridges should be worth more than
50$ tops, you can buy 4570 ammo cheaper, you can buy 458
Win Mag cheaper, bell makes 43 brass, Bertram, but yet hardly
Any gunship will even take it In for you , one shop quoted me
100$ for box of 20 Bertram cases, ? Not acceptable
That's highway robbery. Buffalo had Bertram new brass
For 60$ and bell brass for 40$, now being our money is pretty
Well on par, why can't our Canadian gunships do the same?
hello from Ontario. I am not up on the old bolt actions. Just what is the caliber you have? I have a few friends here that may be able to help.
 
43 Mauser is what I'm looking for or re formed from other
Parent brass , I have ammo ill trade collector quality
For 43 Mauser , I'd consider dominion factory ammo
Or brass cases to reload, I'm using issues wit dominion brass
Cracking in the base, already got face full of gas ,
The dominion brass I fired was factory loaded
Not all my rounds split, just 2
 
Rocky Mountain Cartridges makes 43 Mauser brass. I've had them make .45-60 brass for me and was impressed.
 
Rod, if your brass is cracking, it needs to be annealed to soften it up and make it more elastic. All brass gets brittle if it is worked enough. The way I anneal my brass is to attach a shell holder to my hand drill and then insert a brass casing and slowly rotate the drill with the brass sitting in the flame of a propane torch. I do this in the dark. When the brass starts getting red, I immediately plunge it into a can of water. Don't heat it up hotter than a dull red glow in the dark. Done. This lets me keep using the brass for 20 years or more.

annealing should never be done till he brass glows a blue color on the brass is what your looking for anything more yo risk heating the case head up i anneal my normal rifle brass every 5 or so firings and my more expesive stuff every 3 or so
 
I've been on their site, never saw it, , must be somewheres
In the country that has it? There are surplus rifles being sold
How are shooters feeding them, lol, buffalo arms won't ship
Brass even u primed to Canada ? I don't get it. Shotshell
Brass cases no problem? But not rifle brass? It's very unfair
To us 43 Mauser guys. Buy a rifle and gd luck finding
Ammo for it, the price people want for the dominion ammo
Is out to lunch. 6$ a round in some places? Joe salter had. Box on
His site 75$ in the u.s. , its still sitting there. To be honest
There's no reason those cartridges should be worth more than
50$ tops, you can buy 4570 ammo cheaper, you can buy 458
Win Mag cheaper, bell makes 43 brass, Bertram, but yet hardly
Any gunship will even take it In for you , one shop quoted me
100$ for box of 20 Bertram cases, ? Not acceptable
That's highway robbery. Buffalo had Bertram new brass
For 60$ and bell brass for 40$, now being our money is pretty
Well on par, why can't our Canadian gunships do the same?

$5 each not bad you have to remember there is export fees/shiping involved when it gets here
 
annealing should never be done till he brass glows a blue color on the brass is what your looking for anything more yo risk heating the case head up i anneal my normal rifle brass every 5 or so firings and my more expesive stuff every 3 or so
Overheating definitely needs to be avoided. The delicate part of annealing is to avoid the overheat. I've read several different methods to get the right temperature on another forum and there are different ways that seem to work. I heat the top half of the case while it slowly spins in the flame until it starts glowing red ... but that is in the pitch dark. If one does this in a lighted area and heats it until it glows red, it is probably way too hot because a case that is starting to glow in the pitch dark will not look hot at all in the light. I've not tried heating it until it turns blue, but it sounds like that works well too. Most of the 45-70 brass I bought just over 20 years ago is still in service after around 40 reloadings. Something else that helps extend brass life is to use the lightest crimp that will still do the job and to do as little resizing as possible. If I must resize, I will do only about the first 3/16 -1/4" ..... just enough to hold the bullet until it is crimped.
 
To send it to Oscar for me, it's. a 20 minute drive,
The parts you wish to have done must be polished to 400
Grit, he prefers for this to be done, prior to him receiving it
Also there isn't any way to garuntee colors , to turn an exact way
Diff metallurgies , provide different results, none the less no question
It will be a fine job, Oskar does very nice work ,
 
To send it to Oscar for me, it's. a 20 minute drive,
The parts you wish to have done must be polished to 400
Grit, he prefers for this to be done, prior to him receiving it
Also there isn't any way to garuntee colors , to turn an exact way
Diff metallurgies , provide different results, none the less no question
It will be a fine job, Oskar does very nice work ,

Yes, Oskar just finished case coloring a vintage shotgun of mine. A fine job was done. He will be case colouring another next month for me.
 
I saw this on a Martini Henry discussion board, the guy made a rotating pan which had about an inch of water in it. Place the casing in the water and put the torch to it as it rotates. Allows for even heat distribution and prevent the base from getting too hot.

Overheating definitely needs to be avoided. The delicate part of annealing is to avoid the overheat. I've read several different methods to get the right temperature on another forum and there are different ways that seem to work. I heat the top half of the case while it slowly spins in the flame until it starts glowing red ... but that is in the pitch dark. If one does this in a lighted area and heats it until it glows red, it is probably way too hot because a case that is starting to glow in the pitch dark will not look hot at all in the light. I've not tried heating it until it turns blue, but it sounds like that works well too. Most of the 45-70 brass I bought just over 20 years ago is still in service after around 40 reloadings. Something else that helps extend brass life is to use the lightest crimp that will still do the job and to do as little resizing as possible. If I must resize, I will do only about the first 3/16 -1/4" ..... just enough to hold the bullet until it is crimped.
 
That Job was sort of different, lol it was the first
71/84 he was approached to do, it was around the 400$
Mark , well worth it !, it's not something you will se very
Often, I wanted my gun to be unique, now I have it the way
I want
 
Back
Top Bottom