Found an action, ID Help

wgamble89

Regular
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Location
PEI
So I was doing some adventuring in an old abandoned farm house today and there was all sorts of old farm equipment in the porch and bits and pieces throughout the closets, but when I got up stairs I noticed some old stretching boards for pelts and in the next room I went in found lead shot on the floor and some larger metal balls, then in a pile of old cogs, buckles and other farm stuff I found part of an action. It's marked with a 27 and nothing more. Anybody have a clue what I've found?

rT5dIWv.jpg


vzQgFNa.jpg


kcKAYd8.jpg


XewvWLn.jpg


GuuxJEd.jpg
 
Lock from a percussion musket or rifled musket. Probaby European. Maybe from one of the thousands of muskets imported into the US during their Civil War, and then sold off surplus.
 
I would just like to point out that "old abandoned farm house"'s still belong to someone, and usually they don't take kindly to intruders.
 
I would just like to point out that "old abandoned farm house"'s still belong to someone, and usually they don't take kindly to intruders.
Except the owner of the land is a friend of the family and the buildings on the property have not been used in over 30 years and are falling in. But thanks for being a moral authority. The first time I ever went into the property there were three rusty cans of DDT that I removed because they were leaching into a nearby stream.
 
Last edited:
wgamble, I am wholeheartedly with monk on this one. Private property is just that, and if you don't have explicit permission to go there and loot the place, you are trespassing and stealing. The fact that the owner is your friend compounds the issue, and the fact that the buildings appear to be unused does not make them fair game. This stuff doesn't belong to you. The fact that you are bragging about it on the internet highlights your poor judgement. Many of us farmers have a long and unpleasant history of having tourists and "antique hunters" looting our property. If you actually had explicit permission, then I am totally out of line, and I apologise.
 
wgamble, I am wholeheartedly with monk on this one. Private property is just that, and if you don't have explicit permission to go there and loot the place, you are trespassing and stealing. The fact that the owner is your friend compounds the issue, and the fact that the buildings appear to be unused does not make them fair game. This stuff doesn't belong to you. The fact that you are bragging about it on the internet highlights your poor judgement. Many of us farmers have a long and unpleasant history of having tourists and "antique hunters" looting our property. If you actually had explicit permission, then I am totally out of line, and I apologise.
I did have permission
 
Fair enough, wgamble, I stand corrected. I apologise for the rant.

No problem, back when there was that big craze in the antique world for old far equipment seats we had a fair number taken from still functioning equipment so I know where your coming from.
 
Except the owner of the land is a friend of the family and the buildings on the property have not been used in over 30 years and are falling in. But thanks for being a moral authority. The first time I ever went into the property there were three rusty cans of DDT that I removed because they were leaching into a nearby stream.
D'oh Nice come back. You know DDT won't cause any long term issues,long term issues...........
 
Last edited:
Except the owner of the land is a friend of the family and the buildings on the property have not been used in over 30 years and are falling in. But thanks for being a moral authority. The first time I ever went into the property there were three rusty cans of DDT that I removed because they were leaching into a nearby stream.

There is a black market for effective lawn chemicals now that most provinces have ratcheted up on hazardous goods. My wife was actually quite happy when I told her I found some white grub killing powder. You can't buy that stuff anymore.
 
Oh, DDT is just terrible stuff; ask any Dipper. All it does is prevent the spread of mosquitoes, Yellow Fever, Malaria, Lyme Disease, West Nile Fever and a raft of other insect-borne diseases. Sometimes I think that the NDP would rather have us dead than politically-incorrect.

Your musket-lock is French, dating from the 1850s or else it is an American copy of one.

Many of the old muskets were sold off by firms such as Bannerman in New York and Adolf Frank in Hamburg, some stil as muzzleloaders, many more as Belgian conversions to cheap breechloaders. There is a back-action lock with a very similar hammer, used on the French 1842 Musket (this one is slightly later but still Crimean period), that was used on the conversions to Tabatiere, a French Snider. Seems that almost ALL of them got converted into cheap-oh shotguns and original guns are now very rare.

So: you have the Lock. All you need is a Stock and a Barrel.
 
BTW, your musket balls are .5677".

You are looking for a .58"-calibre barrel.

The paper from the Cartridge would have taken up the slack.
 
Back
Top Bottom