snider stuff

triggerman42

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I am a 90% committed into jumping into the world of sniders.
I know where I can buy a good example of a 3 band rifle.
It's missing the ramrod , and bayonet, but has a nice old leather sling on it.
It even has the chain and nipple (firing pin) protector intact.
Ive been checking out the availability of things I would want to buy for it.
I've been thinking I would load the 24 gauge plastic hulls sold by Bilozir , but they seem to be out of stock.
I checked out the Lee .600 round ball molds. They'r out of stock too.
Today I was at my local gunshop and tryed to buy a brass brush , and a good long cleaning rod suitable for the sniders long barrel. He had nothing like that in stock but could order something that would work for $70.oo.
$70.oo for a CLEANING ROD ??????? I must look like I just fell off the turnip truck ! lol
I can see this is gonna be alot of fun. That 10% uncommitted part is whispering in my ear !
 
cleaning rod is simple you go get 2 cheap shotgun cleaning kits of the same type and add one extra section of rod you will also need something to protect the muzzle from the rod a rod guide of some sort(the type for muzzleloaders should work)
 
I concur with antiqueguy.
And I'd have some questions for the local gunshop owner too. Like " Really? That's the best you can do?" for a starter conversation.
 
Shotgun rod, 20-gauge bore brush..

a 20 / 28 guage bronze brush for an Outers rod is what you are looking for. And for once agreeing with antiqueguy, I use an extended Outers shotgun rod made up from two standard rods. That still leaves you a handle and short rod for handguns :>)

cheers mooncoon
 
Smellie got me a cleaning kit from Cabela's, Outers kit works great and includes brass cleaning rod extensions- safe for the bore.
jan.
 
Smellie got me a cleaning kit from Cabela's, Outers kit works great and includes brass cleaning rod extensions- safe for the bore.
jan.

id still use a guide with any rod or pull though wear at the muzzle is possible with just about everything. I use a rimmed case that fits down the bore but the rim will still catch the muzzle a .50-70 looks like a good idea for the snider drill the primer pocket out o just a few thou over the cleaning rod od slid this on the rod before the brush/jag then once you get the brush/jag started slip the guide into the bore it will save a lot of headaches later on
 
Might I say to the OP: YOU SHOULD BUY A SNIDER!!

I had a Snider on my radar for awhile but my brain told me "those are neat but way beyond my ability" and I left it at that. But after some research and lost of me bugging Smellie (thank you as always friend) I pulled the trigger and bought one. I bought an 1861 3 band that needed LOTS of work.

My resto is almost done, and out of all of my guns I think it's the one that I'm the most proud of. It just reeks of history and I'm very happy to be it's keeper!

In fact I like it so much that I think I need a few more Sniders to keep the one I have company.
 
Uhhh....Plastic hulls? Really? Sorry Ive never heard of using them up until now. You can use 24 gauge brass shotgun shells but I think the plastic shells would create problems. If I'm wrong i stand corrected! Anyway...minies work pretty good so maybe try to get a mold.
Cheers.
 
Uhhh....Plastic hulls? Really? Sorry Ive never heard of using them up until now. You can use 24 gauge brass shotgun shells but I think the plastic shells would create problems. If I'm wrong i stand corrected! Anyway...minies work pretty good so maybe try to get a mold.
Cheers.

many use plastic hulls with no problems cant take a bullet that's too wide though because the plastic is thicker then brass so the normal .590-.600 round balls or soild bullet cant be used
 
Reminded of a story told me by the clerk when I visited Milarm many years ago
A "sweet young thing reporter ast the clerk to see the most destructive rifle they had (expecting to see a L1A1)
The clerk turned to the rack and pulled down a SNIDER!
I would have to agree, getting hit with a .577 lead slug would not be pleasent. It doesnt drill a hole if it hits a bone, it shatters it!
 
Back
Top Bottom