Ringing your chamber without and with filler

Win 38-55

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Smokeless powder in black powder cartridges (such as the 45-70 and the 38-55) leaves a lot of air space and can produce a larger extreme spread in velocity due to poweder position. Some sort of filler can help solve this problem. I was reading about some interesting research done by Charlie Dell. Apparently, he could ring a chamber at will with certain normal loads and in certain cartridges by simply pointing the rifle straight up and pulling the trigger. The phenomenon seemed to be caused by the powder all being completely back against the primer and perfectly flat across the base, since it was pointed straight up. The result was a pressure wave that ringed the chamber around where the base of the bullet was. Some have reported a ring at the same location when certain types of filler were used, particularly with straight walled cartridges.


It is hard to know for sure without testing, which I do not plan to do, but it may be the case that if a filler both kept the powder perfectly back against the primer AND was fluffy enough to permit a shock wave to hit the base of the bullet, that the same ring could be produced with the rifle in a normal horizontal shooting position. Some have suggested to leave a space between the base of the filler and the powder so that the powder sloped when being fired.


Here's my thinking: Cotton, dacron and kapok can both keep the powder nicely and flatly against the primer, and be fluffy enough to possibly permit a shock wave to ring the chamber exactly as might happen if no filler was used at all but the gun pointed straight up. Polyfiller does not do both. It holds the powder pack perfectly, but I think the polyfill dampens out the shock wave as it compresses, which is why it seems to be safe (though I've never used it). Toilet paper does neither, at least not the way I've used it for thousands of rounds. It sort of holds the powder back nicely, but not perfectly, as some powder can easily work forward a bit into the butt ends of the loosely rolled and folded TP.


I could not see how adding a loose, low density filler into the load could increase pressure in such a way as to ring a chamber, but Charlie Dell's work makes sense to me and maybe turned on a light.


Bottom Line: With certain powders and certain cartridges, it may be possible to ring the chamber by either using no filler and pointing the gun straight up or by using certain types of filler, re-creating the same powder position in a horizontal orientation. The bottom line is to avoid any type of filler that might recreate both the powder position and the shock wave that pointing the gun straight up could cause.


Conclusion: It seems to me that toilet paper loosely rolled and folded is safe, since it does not perfectly position the powder against the rear primer. It also seems to me that polyfill would be safe because although it does perfectly position the powder against the primer, it compresses and dampens out the shock wave. The danger may be in cotton, kapok and dacron with certain loads. I know that Sherman Bell has done strain gauge testing at the case neck with all these kinds of filler and found that the pressure was entirely within the safe zone, but who knows how it would work with different powders, especially faster ones. I would think that slower powders will be less likely to create the nice shock wave.


Personal Recommendation: After reading about Charlie Dell's work and thinking on this, I'm inclined to think that we should not use cotton, dacron, or kapok as filler. If filler is required, I'm feeling that toilet paper, loosely rolled and folded or polyfill should be fine. I've used toilet paper in a few thousand rounds and in different calibers such as 38-55, 45-90, 45-70 and 44-40 with never the faintest hint of a problem. I have been using cotton filler more recently, but after reading about what Charlie Dell found out, I'm swearing off cotton filler. I admit I'm erring on the side of caution, and a lot of fellows use this with no problem at all, but I think Charlie Dell's findings make a lot of sense, at least to me. No more cotton filler for me; it positions the powder too perfectly against the back of the case to risk re-creating the effects of a non-filler, vertical shot.


Alternative: With 5744, I have found a Winchester Magnum primer gives me the same velocity in my 38-55, but a lower extreme spread. So it makes a filler unnecessary.
 
What about a .030" paper tube inserted into the case before charging with powder? It'd displace some of the volume and make the powder charge taller and less position sensitive.
Smellie from Milsurp gave me a original dimension plan for 577 Snider with this trick. Works pretty good actually.
 
keep tubes and base wads out of bottle neck cartridges but that should go without saying
For sure. Most black powder cartridges didn't have much of a bottle neck on them but there were a few with a slight bottle neck, like the 32-20, 38-55, 38-72 and the 40-82 to name a few.
 
From what I have read
and personal experience I WOULD NOT USE TP PAPER AS A FILLER

I Have used Dacron (stuff used to stuff pillows/ coats etc.)

Yes and some powders do not require it
Some powders do better with a small amount when the powder fills only a small amount of the case capacity ( reduced loads for instance)
some powders you should not use a filler at all

it all depends

Some times it is better to just use a different powder
 
By gum, I never thought about that, but I think it would work just fine! Neat idea.

Think Cornflakes box. It retains a memory ( tries to stay flat ), and presses pretty tight against the chamber walls. It takes a few tries to get the fit just right but it works good.
577 Snider has a slight taper to the case too. Let us know if it works for you in a 38-55 and what the dimensions are; I reload 38-55 myself.
 
It may be a while. I just loaded up my entire Starline 38-55 supply with 17 grains of 5744 over a Winchester Magnum Primer which gives me excellent accuracy and very low E.S. and I'm not planning to shoot any more 38-55 for a while because my 45-70 has been begging to get shot for a while, so I now need to develop a non-filler load for it. I can see the cardboard tube idea being excellent for the narrower 38-55 though, but the 45-70 will be a lot wider.
 
It may be a while. I just loaded up my entire Starline 38-55 supply with 17 grains of 5744 over a Winchester Magnum Primer which gives me excellent accuracy and very low E.S. and I'm not planning to shoot any more 38-55 for a while because my 45-70 has been begging to get shot for a while, so I now need to develop a non-filler load for it. I can see the cardboard tube idea being excellent for the narrower 38-55 though, but the 45-70 will be a lot wider.

It'll likely work, remember this idea is borrowed from a 577 Snider; it's a lot wider than a 45-70
IIRC it was a military trick for Snider carbines to keep the recoil and muzzle blast down ( saves on powder too) as compared to the rifle loading.
In fact the 38-55 might be too small a diameter for this trick to work in.
 
I probably have not shot thousands but I am sure that I have shot many hundreds of shots from each of several black powder calibers loaded with smokeless. I use moderately fast powders and I use a small pinch of drier lint on top of the powder to keep the powder against the primer. Both bottle neck and straight and gradually tapered cases. I don't recall any indication of chamber ringing and I have seen pressure rings in barrels for other reasons and farther down the barrel. Calibers range from 32-20, 32-40, 38-55, 38-56, 45-70 and a few others

cheers mooncoon
 
I found out the hard way not to use card wads as powder retainers in a 45-90 hi-wall with a #4 contour barrel.

The rifle came from an estate of a man who was shooting old time cartridges longer than I was alive so I thought the shells that came with the gun would be ok. I was realy just shooting them off to be able to make my own reloads. on the second shot I had to punch the brass out with a range rod. By then it was to late for the gun but I pulled the rest of the slugs. I dicovered cardboard discs in various position in the cases. Some were where they were suposed to be, back against the powder, some were cross-ways in the case, a couple were just out of position enough to let some of the powder to migrate in front of the disc.
I don't know if it was from rough handling before I got them or the cisc's were not tight enough.
I leared two lessons that day, the first I already knew but chose to ignore, "don't use someone elses reloads" and not to use over-powder card wads.
 
I probably have not shot thousands but I am sure that I have shot many hundreds of shots from each of several black powder calibers loaded with smokeless. I use moderately fast powders and I use a small pinch of drier lint on top of the powder to keep the powder against the primer. Both bottle neck and straight and gradually tapered cases. I don't recall any indication of chamber ringing and I have seen pressure rings in barrels for other reasons and farther down the barrel. Calibers range from 32-20, 32-40, 38-55, 38-56, 45-70 and a few others

cheers mooncoon

I have yet to see a chamber ringed using smokeless powder. I have one rifle that the original owner had very slightly ringed the chamber using a light load ( Less than a full case) of black powder. That was repaired by setting the barrel back one thread and cutting a new chamber.
A case fired in a ringed chamber is extremely difficult to extract. Sometimes measuring the case with a good micrometer can tell you if you have a ringed chamber if extraction is consistently difficult.

With black powder it is very important to a) use a full compressed load under the bullet or b) use a filler that is compressed to take up air space in the cartridge or chamber.

I would be very curious as to what smokeless powders Mr. Dell used in his experiments and what calibers were also used.
I have shot thousands of reduced loads with heavy cast bullets out of a 30-30 using reduced loads of pistol powders - with and without filler. Also with reduced loads in 45-70, again with and without a filler. I have yet to have a ringed chamber or any pressure issues
 
I found out the hard way not to use card wads as powder retainers in a 45-90 hi-wall with a #4 contour barrel.

The rifle came from an estate of a man who was shooting old time cartridges longer than I was alive so I thought the shells that came with the gun would be ok. I was realy just shooting them off to be able to make my own reloads. on the second shot I had to punch the brass out with a range rod. By then it was to late for the gun but I pulled the rest of the slugs. I dicovered cardboard discs in various position in the cases. Some were where they were suposed to be, back against the powder, some were cross-ways in the case, a couple were just out of position enough to let some of the powder to migrate in front of the disc.
I don't know if it was from rough handling before I got them or the cisc's were not tight enough.
I leared two lessons that day, the first I already knew but chose to ignore, "don't use someone elses reloads" and not to use over-powder card wads.

A cardboard disk used to hold the powder against the primer in a reduced load can result in a pressure wave that will ring a chamber. That is how the gun I purchased with a ringed chamber got that way. A cardboard disk is not a chamber filler - it is an ersatz bullet and will have a pressure wave in front of it as it travels down the chamber. When that pressure wave hits the base of the seated bullet it can obturate the seated bullet and ring the chamber. At leas that is the theory in all of the literature I have read on it.
 
A cardboard disk used to hold the powder against the primer in a reduced load can result in a pressure wave that will ring a chamber. That is how the gun I purchased with a ringed chamber got that way. A cardboard disk is not a chamber filler - it is an ersatz bullet and will have a pressure wave in front of it as it travels down the chamber. When that pressure wave hits the base of the seated bullet it can obturate the seated bullet and ring the chamber. At leas that is the theory in all of the literature I have read on it.
I'd be interested in researching this - would you or (anyone else) mind giving me some the literature references?
 
I'd be interested in researching this - would you or (anyone else) mind giving me some the literature references?

I should correct myself. Using black powder with a cardboard to hold the powder back on the primer and leaving an airspace.
I am not aware of anyone doing this with smokeless powder.
The gun with the ringed chamber that I bought had been fired with reduced loads of black powder using the card method repeatedly. Over a couple of years extraction got harder and harder until he finally needed a rod to push out the empty. The only indication of a ringed chamber was the expanded area on the brass about where the base of the bullet would sit.

If I remember correctly this information came from a Dixie gun works catalog from the early 1960s.
 
IIRC Charlie Dell's experiments were done with a special chamber made of some thing soft ( I think brass ) so he could exaggerate the ringing effect to make it easier to study. Nowadays a number of schuetzen shooters using smokeless use a wad that is a short distance from the powder rather than pressed against it. You can shoot black powder with a smallish gap between the bullet base and the powder, it's done all the time when breech seating. That would be a gap in the 1/16" to 1/8" range for most folks as far as I can tell, and it works for me. So far :)

Chris.
 
Back
Top Bottom