Shipping Insurance.

petew

Regular
Rating - 97.4%
38   1   0
Location
Alberta
Why is it sellers think it is up to the purchaser to buy insurance when selling guns etc.? Insurance should be always included with any shipping charges.
It is the sellers responsibility to deliver the goods. Insurance protects the seller, and is payable only to the seller/shipper, not the buyer/receiver. If the item is lost only the seller gets the insurance money. If the item is not delivered the seller is responsible to refund or replace it. Insurance is the sellers protection.
Expect the cost to be added into your shipping quote, but remember it is the sellers responsibility to ensure your gun is delivered.

Pete
 
I agree. I put insurance on to protect my ass. If the gun disappears during transit is the buyer supposed to take the fall?
 
I never ask my buyer to insure anything unless they suggest so, I always insure all my package with my asking price to protect my bu*t, just in case.
 
All true, but would just means a higher asking price.

Either you pay for a higher priced item with insurance included, or a low priced one without insurance.

It is what it is.
 
I never ask my buyer to insure anything unless they suggest so, I always insure all my package with my asking price to protect my bu*t, just in case.

+1 anything less is just silly.. there is no free lunch.. for minor item okay but not firearms
 
All true, but would just means a higher asking price.

Either you pay for a higher priced item with insurance included, or a low priced one without insurance.

It is what it is.

Not really true, you can look at my sale thread. I'm very fair with used item and it always include insurance. My point is I rather to deal with CP than angry buyer when they find out their package was lost and didn't insure. Maybe I'm already old, a couple extra bucks doesn't worth my hassle, all I want is hassle free, only with CP than both side.
 
Some people may not be aware but insurance only covers LOST packages. If the Canada Post drives over the package and your rifle arrives with a busted stock or bent barrel, well too bad, so sad. Tracking is suppose to help prevent packages going astray.
 
The cost of shipping a cross the country by post is getting to be expensive. Fuel charge for the truck!!! ordinary post is going to have to do for most because the next level up is 2/3 times more, depending on where it is going.
 
Thankfully never had to do it, but the Canada Post website says that insurance covers damaged parcels as well:

"We are committed to the safe handling of mail, but sometimes damage can occur during processing. You can file a claim to recoup the postage and insured value if you meet all of these conditions:
•You sent the item through one of our trackable (bar-coded) services with insurance.
•You are the sender. If you are the receiver, please contact the sender to initiate the claim.
•You mailed your item within the last 90 days.

What senders need to file a claim
•The tracking number. What do Tracking Numbers look like?
•The receiver's name, address and contact information.
•A description of the contents, its value and insured amount.
Please keep in mind that certain contents do not qualify for damage refunds due to their fragile or perishable nature.
If you are the receiver, please contact the sender to initiate the claim. Keep the item and its packaging in case they're required for the claim assessment. "

So according to their website, the insurance you purchase from CP (I think, if I remember correctly, the rate is 1.80/100.00) does cover damaged deliveries.
 
of course CP insurance covers damage, not just lost packages.

I know because I had to do a claim on damaged package
 
Some people may not be aware but insurance only covers LOST packages. If the Canada Post drives over the package and your rifle arrives with a busted stock or bent barrel, well too bad, so sad. Tracking is suppose to help prevent packages going astray.

Not true but the kicker is items insured for $200 and above have to be returned to Canada Post before the claim is paid out. I had the experience a while ago when I shipped a shotgun to a guy and it arrived with a busted stock. Canada Post told me that the entire gun had to be returned to them FOR DESTRUCTION!!! The buyer wasn't in favour of that so I scrounged up and purchased a butt stock(not easy) and sent it to him. Kinda makes the insurance a waste of money.
 
Basically the whole insurance deal is a scam, if you pay for a service then the company providing the service is responsible for in this case the parcel.If the parcel is lost or destroyed then legally they have to pay because they didn t live up to their end of the bargain to deliver the parcel.This is basic contract law ,unfortunately nobody has deep enough pockets to take Canada Post to court to challenge them on it so they get away with it.Also legally all a seller is bound to do when he ships a parcel is ship it by a bonified shipper, he is not legally bound to insure it unless he promised to do so in his ad or agreed to do so when the deal is struck.
 
Not true but the kicker is items insured for $200 and above have to be returned to Canada Post before the claim is paid out. I had the experience a while ago when I shipped a shotgun to a guy and it arrived with a busted stock. Canada Post told me that the entire gun had to be returned to them FOR DESTRUCTION!!! The buyer wasn't in favour of that so I scrounged up and purchased a butt stock(not easy) and sent it to him. Kinda makes the insurance a waste of money.

yep they destroy them much better idea is too ship smartly what I like to see is a lot of bubble rap and packing peanuts and a proper box so the gun cant move my last gun I bought was shipped rapped in cardboard and taped with a little bit of bubble rap I was not too happy but I got a good price on the gun

if the gun is heavy maybe some foam insulation board two pieces of it and cut the gun shape out roughly on both sides(inlet the gun shape so to speak) this way the gun cant move in the box and if its really heavy foam board and a wood crate
 
Not true but the kicker is items insured for $200 and above have to be returned to Canada Post before the claim is paid out. I had the experience a while ago when I shipped a shotgun to a guy and it arrived with a busted stock. Canada Post told me that the entire gun had to be returned to them FOR DESTRUCTION!!! The buyer wasn't in favour of that so I scrounged up and purchased a butt stock(not easy) and sent it to him. Kinda makes the insurance a waste of money.
Well I stand corrected but the right answer doesn't make me feel any better.
 
.
I just bought a rifle, and the seller gave me two options for shipping. With or without insurance. Depending upon how you ship something, sometimes $100 Insurance is automatically included by Canada Post. So my $500 rifle would cost me approximately $7.00 more for Insurance. The chances are that nothing serious will happen to it, but if it is lost or greatly damaged, then the extra $7.00 gives me a chance to recoup my monetary loss and it also gives me peace of mind.

Insurance adds about 2% to the cost of a buying and shipping a firearm. Not a great amount, if you have $500 or so to possibly lose and no recourse to get it back.
.
 
.
I just bought a rifle, and the seller gave me two options for shipping. With or without insurance. Depending upon how you ship something, sometimes $100 Insurance is automatically included by Canada Post. So my $500 rifle would cost me approximately $7.00 more for Insurance. The chances are that nothing serious will happen to it, but if it is lost or greatly damaged, then the extra $7.00 gives me a chance to recoup my monetary loss and it also gives me peace of mind.

Insurance adds about 2% to the cost of a buying and shipping a firearm. Not a great amount, if you have $500 or so to possibly lose and no recourse to get it back.
.


With all due respect, it does not give you a chance to recoup your monetary loss.

When parcel is shipped, only person that can call with a claim for missing or damaged parcel is seller/ shipper.


Only thing that seller can do for you is give you discount on the price, if you expressly request that he sends parcel without insurance.


That is a losing proposal for both of you- seller and buyer.
Do not do it!
 
Back
Top Bottom