Electronic scales

Easyrider

Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi. I am looking to buy an electronic scale for weighing powder and bullets up to 550 grains. I like the look of the RCBS 1500 , but I'd like some thoughts from users, on it and whatever other makes/models you like. Thanks
Glen
 
If you do a search on the reloading forum I am sure you will find all kinds of opinions, traditionally black powder is measured by volume rather than weight so few on this forum will admit to owning a new fangled electronic scale (wish I had one).
 
I use a Lyman digital scale fo measuring bullet weights for sorting purposes. You have to be quite careful as they can drift if you don't let them warm up for quite a while.

I weigh my bp charges on an RCBS balance beam scale. I use Lee Dippers or a Harrell's Precision powder measure to drop them a couple tenths of a grain under my desired weight so it's only a few seconds to bring each charge up to weight.

That's what works for me these days :)

Chris.
 
I have used an RCBS beam scale for 35 years, but it is inadequate for the latest project. I am working up loads for a Pedersoli Gibbs muzzleloader, in .45 cal. Those familiar with the Gibbs will know that it has a 1/18 twist barrel, and shoots conical bullets well over 500 grains. My beam scale maxes out at 510 grains, so I can't weigh my newly cast bullets. Skinny, I understand that traditionally BP is measured by volume, but serious competitors in the long range disciplines weigh their powder charges.
Here's a related question; most powder measure manufacturers do not recommend using their measures for black powder. Is that just corporate butt covering, or does BP pose some serious risk of static electricity ignition, or something? Gunlaker's post above sparks the question...
 
Something that would interest / concern me is the response time to changes in weight. With a beam balance I can trickle charge the pan and know that the pan and indicating pointer will keep pace with a slow trickle of powder into the pan. With a digital scale, while it would be excellent for weighing bullets, if the response time for it to react to slow increases in weight is slow, it would not be suitable for measuring a trickle charged amount of powder

cheers mooncoon
 
With a digital scale, while it would be excellent for weighing bullets, if the response time for it to react to slow increases in weight is slow, it would not be suitable for measuring a trickle charged amount of powder

The Berry MFG ACC-2000 that I posted above is very fast.
 
....Is that just corporate butt covering, or does BP pose some serious risk of static electricity ignition, or something? Gunlaker's post above sparks the question...

Static electricty and the sparks thereof are the reason why all BP handling machinery, even at our level, is made of brass. Butt-covering has nothing to do with it.

tac
 
Something that would interest / concern me is the response time to changes in weight. With a beam balance I can trickle charge the pan and know that the pan and indicating pointer will keep pace with a slow trickle of powder into the pan. With a digital scale, while it would be excellent for weighing bullets, if the response time for it to react to slow increases in weight is slow, it would not be suitable for measuring a trickle charged amount of powder

cheers mooncoon

Good point
 
Static electricty and the sparks thereof are the reason why all BP handling machinery, even at our level, is made of brass.

There has been a photo or two floating around for many years, of a large static electric spark connecting directly with a black powder granule and with the powder not igniting

The modern electronic balances that I have seen and used, employed a load cell and there was virtually no exposed electrically charged areas on them. I would think the risk would be very minimal unless you had a bare and energized charging chord

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom