New Black Powder shooter

1300_stainless

Regular
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I just picked up a Traditions Flintlock starter kit yesterday on a whim. The rifle is a Deer Hunter 50cal flintlock. I am completely new to black powder shooting but look forward to learning. The starter kit came with an introduction to muzzle loading VHS (lol), but it doesn't play properly. Anyone have any tips or helpful links with either videos or pictures? (I'm a visual learner). Anything suitable to help a total noob would be appreciated!
 
The Deerhunter that you have was if I remember right a kit gun . Google Traditions Firearms and that will bring up the customer support page.Make sure that it was assembled correctly. Contact Traditions Firearms and I am sure they would be able to get you a copy of the original instructions.
 
Nope pre-assembled. The instruction manual has one image throughout the whole manual lol. I wondered about the age of the kit myself, but the shop I got it at only recently started carrying stock of black powder firearms and you can actually still buy the VHS new online lol
 
Youtube is your friend. It has videos galore on most topics. Great place for the "visual learner" ....cheers

You're right YouTube has lots of videos and I will check it out. Problem is only thing required to post on there is a computer, not always knowledge. I was hoping someone with BP experiance could suggest some info or media they felt was informative or well put together.
 
Make sure that you have everything you need to clean the gun properly before you ever shoot it. Black powder (and most subs such as Pyrodex) residue will turn a gun barrel into a rusted sewer pipe in record time. There are many opinions on how to clean the gun correctly but hot water with a little dish soap always has worked for me. Then a good drying and lots of gun oil to prevent rust. Check the gun a day or so later with a clean patch to ensure that your cleaning was adequate.
 
Get the July/August issue of The Backwoodsman magazine (www.backwoodsmanmag.com). This issue has three great articles on black powder including a wonderful article entitled, Flintlock Muzzleloading 101 and a Little More.

I'll check that out! Thanks!

Make sure that you have everything you need to clean the gun properly before you ever shoot it. Black powder (and most subs such as Pyrodex) residue will turn a gun barrel into a rusted sewer pipe in record time. There are many opinions on how to clean the gun correctly but hot water with a little dish soap always has worked for me. Then a good drying and lots of gun oil to prevent rust. Check the gun a day or so later with a clean patch to ensure that your cleaning was adequate.

The kit came with some bore solvent and patches. I was thinking about picking up some "Wonderlube" to use as patch lube and rust prevention.
 
Good luck finding black powder. You will need 4f in the pan and at least a starter load of 2 or 3f. If it has to be sent to you expect a large shipping fee.


Yup the owner at the shop sold me pyrodex, which isn't right. At this point I think I know more than him when it comes to muzzle loaders, and that's not much. I think I may be able to pick it up somewhat locally (hour drive or so). There is one shop that specializes in antique and black powder firearms.
 
If you can - buy Sam Fadala's book "The Gun Digest Black Powder Loading Manual". Everything you need to know about shooting/cleaning black powder guns.
 
Back
Top Bottom