B.P .44wcf on deer?

vega1

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Location
BC
Salutations.

I have a Henry in .44-40 which I load with 34gr. of 3F Goex with a 200 gr. lead bullet.

I don't have a chronograph so I don't know the velocity and energy.

Do any of you have a guestimate on velocity for this load and/or experience with similar loads on mule deer within a 100 yd. maximum?

Thanks.
 
The ballistics for the black powder .44-40 were around 1200-1300 fps. Not a lot of power but at close range, if you place the bullet properly, you'll do all right. The old .44-40 has been killing things since 1873!

I did a quick "Yahoo" search on ".44-40 black powder ballistics" and got a lot of info.

Writing in the "Handloader" magazine of March 1999, Mike Venturino tells of shooting a doe at 70 yds with a case full of black powder and a 214 gr lead bullet. He says she dropped in her tracks having been hit in the chest.

I remember years ago, in the Gun Digest Book, the editor would write of the .44-40 - "under 100 yds it is a better killer than the .30-30".
 
Salutations.

I have a Henry in .44-40 which I load with 34gr. of 3F Goex with a 200 gr. lead bullet.

I don't have a chronograph so I don't know the velocity and energy.

Do any of you have a guestimate on velocity for this load and/or experience with similar loads on mule deer within a 100 yd. maximum?

Thanks.

From "Gun Digest BP Loading Manual" load as above, Henry 21":
MV 1206 fps
ME 646 fp
100 yd vel 965 fps, 414 fp energy.
 
Thanks much, guys, appreciate the help. Antiqueguy, I was referring to the original Henry as replicated by Uberti. The original was a rimfire .44.
 
I have killed two deer with a 44-40 and a friend killed one also with my gun. All were using factory loads and I would describe the effect of the bullet as more or less drilling a hole with minimal expansion. While many deer have been killed with a 44-40, it is not a caliber that I would recommend

cheers mooncoon
 
I have killed two deer with a 44-40 and a friend killed one also with my gun. All were using factory loads and I would describe the effect of the bullet as more or less drilling a hole with minimal expansion. While many deer have been killed with a 44-40, it is not a caliber that I would recommend

cheers mooncoon

I forgot deer where body armor now lol
 
Back
Top Bottom