Antique RimFire Parts

maple leaf

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Location
SW Ontario
I'm, interested in getting an antique status rimfire revolver (because they are cheaper than many other antiques, and I am not rich). I see the odd .32 or .38 come up for sale on the EE from time to time. I know you can reload your own ammo for these beauties, but I'm curious to know where one would purchase replacement parts for these (new springs etc)? If anyone has any insight, it would be appreciated.
 
What parts are you trying to fabricate? What firearm? springs, hammer, barrel, grips, what? Your question is very generic...
 
Luck, Home fabrication, parts guns "all parts except most springs must still be fitted and tuned", expensive bills at the odd gunsmith willing to do the repairs.

Numrich arms sometimes has parts but not always.

Most Antique arms are prone to breakage and must be babied if you wish for them to last.
 
most parts would have to be made springs are the most common part that needs to be made but its a very hard part to make if you don't know basic gunsmithing and metal/wood work you should really stay out of the antique game
 
most parts would have to be made springs are the most common part that needs to be made but its a very hard part to make if you don't know basic gunsmithing and metal/wood work you should really stay out of the antique game

What about a guy who wants to get into the "antique game", by buying and shooting antiques. If they break, which they will, how do I go about fixing them other than buying a donor firearm? I've checked out Numrich Arms, but as Tyockell18 states, they are hit or miss. Just looking for advice regarding the .32 and .38's. As for what manufacturer, I havn;t bought anything yet. Does a certain manufacturer mean more available parts?
 
most parts would have to be made springs are the most common part that needs to be made but its a very hard part to make if you don't know basic gunsmithing and metal/wood work you should really stay out of the antique game

I've R & R'd a few antiques.
A new hand is req'd? Start looking around for similar metal.
A vise, 60-70$ worth of files, a small drill press, a small propane torch and an older book on gunsmithing. Go to it.
Unless you are the type of fellow how can't even do basic auto repairs. If so...don't go there
 
As for the .32 and .38 Rimfire guns. I would have to say some of the most reliable in my experience are the Hopkins and Allen made Spur trigger guns XL, blue jackets ect.

.38 rimfire I just love the remingtons smoots and new model no. 4's.

The XL's are nice because of the removeable side plates. If you want a Double action gun, the forehand and wadsworth's are nice guns. They sometimes have issues with worn single action hammer notches though.

Alot of the guns you will find will have pretty sloppy fore and aft play in the cylinder from poor factory specs and frame stretching over the century. Have to make sure the hammer will pinch the rim properly or else it will need to be built up a bit.
 
.32s are so cheap just get a nice one. No worries about repair. I did have one i should have never sold but i like guns i can shoot more so i bought something else. $2 a round was too much hehehe. Save up for a 8mm lebel. Not that expensive lately... and ammo is there. It will never break down..
 
.32s are so cheap just get a nice one. No worries about repair. I did have one i should have never sold but i like guns i can shoot more so i bought something else. $2 a round was too much hehehe. Save up for a 8mm lebel. Not that expensive lately... and ammo is there. It will never break down..

bingo a 8mm lebel is a good starter antique handgun although my first antique handgun was a .32 rimfire Hopkins and Allen ranger with a round barrel my first antique was a martini henry mk4 rifle
 
.32s are so cheap just get a nice one. No worries about repair. I did have one i should have never sold but i like guns i can shoot more so i bought something else. $2 a round was too much hehehe. Save up for a 8mm lebel. Not that expensive lately... and ammo is there. It will never break down..

Yeah French 1873/74's and 1892's are amazing quality with very good steel.

They are extremely reliable so you can't go wrong.
 
Getting into rim fire is cheaper at first. But more expensive if you really like to shoot it. 1892 lebel is an investment in the beginning but way cheaper to shoot per round.
Initial investment:if you want to go all the way.
1. 1892 $1000 I seen it here on EE
2. Brass (50)$40-50. pm me if you have some and want it cut and sized for free.
3. Reloading dies $90-100
4. Bullets(200) $30-50 depends where you live
5. Powder $35
6. primers (200)$9
And it's easy once you get going.

Or just find available fiochchi ammo. Half price of .32rim and brass is reliadable. I did it without any special tools initially.
Rim fire is fun but either $2 a shot or more... And if you are reloading its a pain with hiltis. I tried it. that is If your gun will work with this type set up. Mine didn't.
 
Back
Top Bottom