delete

Friend made up a taper sizer, 7/8x14 outside, inside a straight taper down from half-inch to the release point, where it opens again to half-inch.

You put in lubed .459 HB slugs, push them through with the press ram (like the Lee sizer)..... and out pops your .446.

Cheaper than $100 for a .446 mould.

The BELT on a .300 Win Mag is only a few thou larger than the Chamber diameter of the .43 Mauser round; no trouble at all to turn off just a bit of it and get a good concentric fit. My thinking is that it should be possible to mod .300 Win Mag to work in a .43 Mauser. Certainly enough Brass there, anyway!

OTOH, some chaps mod .45-90 and get way with it. I haven't tried that one yet but, with .45-90 becoming more available, might be worth a try.

DAMN IVI anyway!

Otherwise you are left with Bertram or Jamieson at $3 pop and upward.

Pity, too: Remington, Winchester and Dominion ALL used to make it.
 
I'm using 45/70 and 45/90 brass in mine and both work very well. For a bullet I use a Lee 45/70 hollow base mold and run it through a Lyman .446 lube sizer die and have had very good results using 28 grains of 4198 with filler to take up the space. Those old beauties are fun to shoot , enjoy.
 
Give site business member RWTC (Rusty Wood Trading Company) a gander. I believe they might stock, or be able to order Bertram 71/84 brass and bullets. Looks like they have some in stock! http://www.rustywood.ca/bertram.html

Beware! It is very expensive! $153.75/50 rounds.... Still cheaper than I got my Bertram brass a while ago though... It's gets cheaper per unit the more you purchase.

Check out the Bullet Barn as well.

I purchased Dies and brass from Mystic Precision a year or two ago too... PS: Lee .43 Mauser die shell holder is absolute garbage, throw it away and buy an RCBS shell holder. I'd like RCBS dies, but Lee makes 'em much cheaper than $200...
 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's great advise.
Also check out gun shows, that's where I found most of my brass/cartridges.
 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's great advise.
Also check out gun shows, that's where I found most of my brass/cartridges.

I found 14 rounds of Dominion factory loads for $20 at the North Bay show yesterday. Jumped on those.
One of the dealers had a full box that he wanted $100 for.
 
The BELT on a .300 Win Mag is only a few thou larger than the Chamber diameter of the .43 Mauser round; no trouble at all to turn off just a bit of it and get a good concentric fit. My thinking is that it should be possible to mod .300 Win Mag to work in a .43 Mauser. Certainly enough Brass there, anyway!


can this be done with hand tools or is a lathe needed?
has anyone tried to convert 300 win mag to use in the 43 mauser??
asking since i have no experiance in this idea.
 
43 mauser BAD NEWS

I RELOADED THE OLD DOMINION BRASS ( CAME WITH 8) THE 1ST ONE I FIRED OFF BLEW THE REAR OF THE CASING . NO INJURY BUT IM NOT USING the old dominion brass at all , ill order some new stuff.
and
is there the same problem with new brass ??

i had to frig for 20 min afterwords, at home to get the casing out of the chambr.
 
I've done it, but extraction is poor. 45-90 is a far better choice, with 45-70 a close second. The brass bulges a bit above the web, but it's purely cosmetic.

The BELT on a .300 Win Mag is only a few thou larger than the Chamber diameter of the .43 Mauser round; no trouble at all to turn off just a bit of it and get a good concentric fit. My thinking is that it should be possible to mod .300 Win Mag to work in a .43 Mauser. Certainly enough Brass there, anyway!


can this be done with hand tools or is a lathe needed?
has anyone tried to convert 300 win mag to use in the 43 mauser??
asking since i have no experiance in this idea.
 
Back
Top Bottom