Acquired my first antique, advice please.

NB_GSXR

Regular
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Location
Near SJ, NB
Hi folks,

Picked this up from a friend who was under the impression that it was less than legal and probably would have been hidden away or disposed of somehow.

I recognized it for what it was and saved it. It needs a good clean up and lube but it seems tight and solid, bore is great. There is obviously no finish left and a few dings here and there, a little bit of pitting on the back of the grip only. Serial # is in the 47000s and it has the 1 9/16" cylinder.

Tell me, would it be blasphemy to clean it up and have it re-blued? I mostly want it for the novelty of plinking on my 100 acre woodlot.


IMG_0855.jpg


IMG_0856.jpg


IMG_0857.jpg


IMG_0861.jpg


IMG_0862.jpg


IMG_0863.jpg


IMG_0864.jpg
 
Nice old Smith & Wesson. I have no idea whether a reblue would lessen its value greatly or not. Values for shootable antique handguns here in Canada are nuts. In its present condition I'm thinking the refinishing might actually add value. There are others on here who are really up on the subject but I'm glad you saved it from the RCMP.
 
Clean,oil, and have at 'er.
( Unless one of the REAL collectors says otherwise, that is. I can't see reblueing Adding to the value, myself)
 
Congrats! I'd love to trip over a S&W like that! There is a good deal of pitting on it, so that may be problematic for it's continued existence. Though collectors don't want to touch original finish, it sounds like you're a shooter and want the piece to survive. I would be tempted to clean the rust off with some 0000 steel wool and Ballistol, but only the rust. A reblue would require a complete sanding down of all the pitting, which is a big job. Once clean and in the white, it will need a true rust bluing, another time-consuming process. So if you just want to shoot it and enjoy it, I'd just clean the rust and shoot it.

I'd also want to know for sure which 44 S&W it is—American, Russian, or Special.
 
I'm not concerned with adding value at all, I would just like to fix it up (I hesitate to use the word restore) because I like my stuff to look nice. I was just worried that it would be considered blasphemy and I would become a pariah of the firearms community. :p
 
It'll be in .44 Russian. That's what the .44 S&W ctg meant at that time. Very few of the S&W's of the time had the caliber on them, because most were in .44 Russian. The others were labeled. The exception is the long cylinder .44 double actions. They were also issued in 44-40 (also known as .44 Win ctg) so were labeled to diferentiate them. Nice old gun. I'd just oil it up and enjoy. Shoot soft lead bullets from any .429 mold, and either black powder, a black powder sub, or a very careful smokeless load. And that's all I'll say about that. Enjoy
 
i don't think bluing it will make it shoot better.. haha it'll just be a soso blu job with lots of pitting

I'd say get a nice holster and keep it

myself i think the idea of antiques is to preserve it for the future ... (but use em honestly )

I've restored many antique swords, and often have to refuse orders.... you'd be surprised how many people want them cut up, or made into pocket knives or hunting knives

man, i'm jealous ...that is such a cool gun
 
Alright you guys have convinced me to leave it alone, for now. I'll give it a good ultrasonic bath and see how it looks. There really isn't any pitting to speak of other than that one spot on the back of the grip.

I have a box of Fiocchi .44SWR which I understand is safe to fire in these.

I suppose I should call the CFC as it would be nice to have a letter for this one... time to join the shadow registry lol
 
Alright you guys have convinced me to leave it alone, for now. I'll give it a good ultrasonic bath and see how it looks. There really isn't any pitting to speak of other than that one spot on the back of the grip.

Okay, we may be arguing semantics, but I'm seeing quite a bit of "freckling" anyway. That's the miniscule warning signs of pitting. Just very small divots in the steel that deepen into pits. You want to keep those clear of rust, which will eat the ass out of the gun.

Brilliant acquisition! Brilliant decision to shoot it! I'm emerald with envy.
 
"...no idea whether a reblue would lessen its value greatly or not..." It'd drop the value by at least half.
"...plinking on my 100 acre woodlot..." That'd get you arrested and you'd lose all of your firearms. The same rules apply to shootable antiques as non-antiques. Other than not needing a licence.
 
"...no idea whether a reblue would lessen its value greatly or not..." It'd drop the value by at least half.
"...plinking on my 100 acre woodlot..." That'd get you arrested and you'd lose all of your firearms. The same rules apply to shootable antiques as non-antiques. Other than not needing a licence.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Almost all the posts I see from you contain misinformation.
Please check your facts before posting.
 
Back
Top Bottom