double ball snider load ?

triggerman42

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Any thoughts on this ? I'm pretty sure there would be lots of room in a magtech case for 70 grains of powder and 2 x .600 balls. The bore butter leaves the gun smelling like mint anyway. Doublemint anyone?
 
im not exactly sure it would be a good idea.. the ball on top of the powder would expand the next one in line and increase barrel pressures significantly. personally to me, it sounds like a bad idea. but thats just me, and with a gun i am loading the powder and projectile in myself i like to keep it on the safe side untill i have worked up to it for a reason. and loading 2 balls in i cant see a reason for at all...
 
yeah not a good idea 2 balls that are roughly 3/4oz each would put it over the bullet weight it would have shot normally witch is roughly 1 1/8oz looks like a good way to turn the snider into a auto eject or worse
 
The balls would weigh about 325 grs each, so they'd weigh more than the typical 480 grs and take up more cartridge space. With round balls in the Snider, 0.600" is a good choice, but only if seated in the last 0.100" or so of the cartridge. Any deeper (as with two balls), and the cartridge would be too large in diameter to chamber.
 
The reasoning of previous posters sounds fairly good, so I don't think I'd try that double-ball idea like the OP suggested.
It got me thinking, though. That's not always a good thing?
Since we're talking MagTech brass, we're probably referring to forming .577 Snider shells out of their 24ga (pistol-primed) shotshells. If that's the approach, I wonder how two bore-sized, or perhaps slightly undersized, round-balls would work over top of a nice thick (SEE: Track of the Wolf or similar) over-sized 24ga lubricated over-powder wad, possibly with the mouth crimped a bit to hold the front ball maybe just enough to maintain a bit of compression?
Why you'd want a double-ball Snider load? Still working on that part. Just sayin'?
 
Double ball loads in the .45-70 and .45 Colt (and others) are not uncommon....no comment on this particular load in the .577, just pointing out that the motivation for the OP is probably the same as those who load double-balls in the .45's. Accuracy is never great (yes I've tried it in the .45-70) but it is fun to mess around with.
 
Double ball loads in the .45-70 and .45 Colt (and others) are not uncommon....no comment on this particular load in the .577, just pointing out that the motivation for the OP is probably the same as those who load double-balls in the .45's. Accuracy is never great (yes I've tried it in the .45-70) but it is fun to mess around with.

yes but you are dealing with less weight and most shoot double balls in .45-70 and .45 colt are doing so in modern firearms

a .454" round ball is 141gr in pure lead and a .457" is 144gr big weight difference when you get into something like a .600" round ball witch is 325gr in pure lead and try to double it the gun and brass can only take so much magtech cases like to split at the case head from too much pressure because they are balloon head and snider like to turn into auto eject rifles when pressure gets past the case(been there 28ga hulls idea not so good) or when loaded too hot. you are putting 650gr in a gun meant for a 480gr slug no good could come of that
 
yes but you are dealing with less weight and most shoot double balls in .45-70 and .45 colt are doing so in modern firearms

a .454" round ball is 141gr in pure lead and a .457" is 144gr big weight difference when you get into something like a .600" round ball witch is 325gr in pure lead and try to double it the gun and brass can only take so much magtech cases like to split at the case head from too much pressure because they are balloon head and snider like to turn into auto eject rifles when pressure gets past the case(been there 28ga hulls idea not so good) or when loaded too hot. you are putting 650gr in a gun meant for a 480gr slug no good could come of that

Read my post, I specifically didn't comment on the .577

I am outlining "why" the OP is interested - that's it
 
Double ball loads are not all that uncommon for sure ! There are many historical examples documented about this.
General Wolfe ordered all his troops to load with double ball , against Montcalms french troops at the battle of the plains of Abraham , or the "battle of Quebec" in 1759. There are lots of references to double ball loads in muzzeloaders. I was just curious if anyone had tryed it in a snider. I'm not convinced the snider action could handle the extra pressure either. I was just asking for your thoughts on this.
As for the WHY guy? Thanks for all your thoughts. You were very helpful . LOL
The buck and ball load might be fun to play with as well !
 
Why stop at 2? I load 3 140gr balls :)

Double ball loads in the .45-70 and .45 Colt (and others) are not uncommon....no comment on this particular load in the .577, just pointing out that the motivation for the OP is probably the same as those who load double-balls in the .45's. Accuracy is never great (yes I've tried it in the .45-70) but it is fun to mess around with.
 
I was at a black powder shoot and loaded my Queen Anne .50 cal. repro,...they called a ceasefire and I put it on the bench.
After the ceasefire and having been totally distracted in the meantime I went back to the bench,picked up my gun and loaded it again.
I have a notch on my ram rod that is flush with the end of the barrel when the pistol is properly loaded and it was sticking out a lot so I knew that I had a double charge.
My first reaction was to get rid of the extra charge but I didn't have a ball puller so I asked around and was told to just shoot it out...I was assured that nothing untoward would happen.
I chose to pull ball.
 
My .589" round balls are 311 grains each. I regularly shoot a conical which is just under 600 grains in my Snider. I wouldn't hesitate to load two of these over seventy grains of FG. I have a friend who regularly loads two .69" balls in a P1839 musket. He uses this for deer hunting with great success at short range. I think that using the double ball load in the Snider would be a great deer load. Someone somewhere has tried this and knows how it shoots. Great idea Triggerman to ask here for opinions but they are just that...... opinions!
 
My .589" round balls are 311 grains each. I regularly shoot a conical which is just under 600 grains in my Snider. I wouldn't hesitate to load two of these over seventy grains of FG. I have a friend who regularly loads two .69" balls in a P1839 musket. He uses this for deer hunting with great success at short range. I think that using the double ball load in the Snider would be a great deer load. Someone somewhere has tried this and knows how it shoots. Great idea Triggerman to ask here for opinions but they are just that...... opinions!

what mark of gun do you have and what casing are you using makes a big difference
 
A lot of people who "knew things" said that it couldn't work and it wouldn't work and it couldn't work... so they dropped it on Hiroshima anyway.

It worked.

BIG difference btween the STEEL barrel of a Mark III Snider (which will NOT auto-eject, BTW) and the IRON barrel of the earlier rifles.

Even BIGGER difference from today's steels.

Snider barrels are pretty thin..... and they are now at LEAST 150 years old.

I won't do it one of with mine and Janice won't do it with hers.

We VALUE our hands, eyes, ears..... and Sniders too much to risk any of them on a silly idea.
 
Silly idea? All this talk about auto-eject seems to stem back to bubba trying to shoot the WRONG caliber shells out of his snider.
Why anybody would attempt to shoot 28 gauge shells from a .577 rifle is beyond me anyway. Now .... That is Silly !
 
Silly idea? All this talk about auto-eject seems to stem back to bubba trying to shoot the WRONG caliber shells out of his snider.
Why anybody would attempt to shoot 28 gauge shells from a .577 rifle is beyond me anyway. Now .... That is Silly !

it also happens with split cases from over pressure any gas getting under the breech block will do it
 
Back
Top Bottom