45 long colt status.

Ranches

New member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Location
Southern Alberta
I can see in the regs where the colt 45 is listed as a non antique but the long colt is not listed .Is it still ok to get one listed .. 45 long colt..as an antique. Thanks for your replys.
 
The two names are one and the same. "Long Colt" is technically not the proper nomenclature at all, it is in fact ".45 Colt", period. There is lots of discussion around why and when the term "Long Colt" appeared, but the phrase "Long Colt" is generally considered to be a way of separating ".45 Colt" from the shorter Schofield round. Although I have a box marked ".45 Short Colt", these appear to be Schofield or maybe even .455's.
 
The two names are one and the same. "Long Colt" is technically not the proper nomenclature at all, it is in fact ".45 Colt", period. There is lots of discussion around why and when the term "Long Colt" appeared, but the phrase "Long Colt" is generally considered to be a way of separating ".45 Colt" from the shorter Schofield round. Although I have a box marked ".45 Short Colt", these appear to be Schofield or maybe even .455's.

.45 short colt was a reality at one time
 
.45 short colt was a reality at one time

As I say in my post, there is "lots of discussion" on that topic. Some argue that there never was, in fact, a .45 Short Colt. Many articles out there - lots in print not on the "'net". EDIT: I see now (on the net) that there is some suggestion that the "short colt" may have been a hybrid of sorts (.45 Gov't?), with the Colt rim on a Schofield case. I'll mic the rims on this box I have tonight

[EDIT: Guess I'll have to eat crow. What I have here are not ".45 Short Colt" as I remembered, but are instead marked ".455 Colt". Case length is 0.88", OAL is 1.38" (shorter than the Schofield on both counts, longer than a Webley); case outside & rim mic out to the same as a .45 Colt, however (like the Schofield - and smaller than a Webley). Clearly not a ".45 Government" but still fall into a short Colt kind of category. Cannot find my Cartridges of the World at the moment (loaned out) but can't wait to look it up.]

Does not change the fact that "Long Colt" & ".45 Colt" are one in the same; nor that ".45 Colt" is the correct nomenclature for that cartridge.
 
Last edited:
45 colt and 45 long colt are considered the same by the RCMP so no matter how much discussion there is about the 45 colt 45 long colt were stuck with what the rcmp decide i think there correct on this one to, wouldnt mater anyway as any gun in 45 long colt could chamber a 45 short colt and ive never seen a gun that only chambers the so called phanthom 45 short colt except 45 schofields but there not called 45 short colt there just called 45 schofields.

The 45 Schofield was thought to be the real orignal 45 short colt but because guns chambered in 45 schofield like the S&W 1st and second model 45 schofield revolvers could not chamber 45 colt there perscribed antiques in Canada, but tho the cases are the same dia (45 colt and 45 S&W Schofield) the rims were diffrent bigger on a 45 schofield case so the Extractor star could easyer extract the 45 sch case and the 45 colt was longer in length.
In any case you can not chamber a 45 colt long colt in a 45 Schofield chamber as its abit shorter chamber.
Otherwise the 45 schofield revolvers would be another gun we could not have as antique.
 
Can I easily change the guns caliber to shoot a shofeild round or a 45 ACP to make it possible to be registered as an antique.

a lot of gunsmith work but it destroys all collectors value. for something like a saa and .45 acp id think a new cylinder would be needed also it would be a reloading game since factory ammo would be too hot
 
Back
Top Bottom