Muzzleloader Reclasification?

theredgoat

New member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A couple of the old boys around the table at the hunting camp said that they heard that the feds might be reclassifing muzzleloaders as rifles. If this is the case it will eliminate the week of muzzleloader season in my WMU, as we aren't able to use rifles for deer here. I wasn't too worried because it wasn't the only tall tale I heard all week. But the longer I think about it seems like something dumb the big boys might try to do. Anyone else have any more information for me?
Thanks Fellas.
 
In Southern Alberta we lost the Primitive Weapons season several years ago.
BS grapevine hinted toward the fact that in-line ML's contributed toward the season being cancelled. An scoped ML that's accurate and deadly at 200-300 yards is a little hard to classify as a 'Primitive Weapon
But ML are weapons already, it's flintlocks that are not, IIRC
 
In Southern Alberta we lost the Primitive Weapons season several years ago.
BS grapevine hinted toward the fact that in-line ML's contributed toward the season being cancelled. An scoped ML that's accurate and deadly at 200-300 yards is a little hard to classify as a 'Primitive Weapon
But ML are weapons already, it's flintlocks that are not, IIRC

the long range accuracy was used to cancel the one tiny muzzle loading season we had in BC (near Pink Mountain). I think what theredgoat is concerned about is something different; I suspect in Ontario, shotguns with slugs are considered to be acceptable in shotgun only areas. If that is true, the best argument to permit muzzle loading hunting is to restrict it to patched round ball and compare the ballistics and in particular the trajectory with shotgun slugs. I think you would find they would be very similar. At the moment patched round ball fits the government ballistic template for 22 rimfire. Without checking the data base, I would not be surprised that shotgun slugs are possibly the same

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks Mooncoon.
When I read the OP's post the first 1st time, he referred to "The Fed's" is what sent me down that train of thought.
But upon re-reading it, he was referring to Hunting camp BS from 'Tellers of tall tales' so it's in agreement that they were full of BS

Edit; and the super dooper, inline wonders P*ss me of to no end. I can understand people finding loopholes to exploit in business or monetary affairs.
But hunting is supposed to be a recreational activity. Why on earth some folks can't leave well enough alone? Instead of going into the ML season in the spirit in which it was intended; they trot out the inline ( re; Black ML's) wonders.
I really enjoyed dragging my Kentucky rifle around.
The fact that a group of small d*cked dorks just had to push it (with the inline wonders) and get the ML season cancelled vexes me to no end.
 
Last edited:
Every year I hear the same thing. That they are merging archery with cross bow and extending archery season. Then moving muzzleloader in with shotgun. Year after year. It doesnt matter to me, Id still use my muzzle loader.
 
Hey guys.
Yes in my WMU (Wildlife Management Unit) we can not use a rifle for the 2 week deer season. We have a separate week in December that we can hunt deer with a muzzleloader. I purchased a T/C Impact 2 years ago for this specific week. So what the boys were saying is that if the federal Government reclassifies a modern muzzleloader as a rifle, than by default I will lose my muzzleloader season in my provincialy controlled WMU. I could drive an hour to the west and I would still have the season as they can use rifles on deer.
During deer season a lot of guys use slug guns sabots and scopes and get about the same range as My T/C. So its all kind of Bogus to me.
Just wondering if any one had heard if the federal gov had plans to reclassify the muzzleloader as a rifle.
Thanks again guys!
 
]and the super dooper, inline wonders P*ss me of to no end. I can understand people finding loopholes to exploit in business or monetary affairs.
But hunting is supposed to be a recreational activity. Why on earth some folks can't leave well enough alone? Instead of going into the ML season in the spirit in which it was intended; they trot out the inline ( re; Black ML's) wonders.
I really enjoyed dragging my Kentucky rifle around.
The fact that a group of small d*cked dorks just had to push it (with the inline wonders) and get the ML season cancelled vexes me to no end.[/I]

Agreed, the inlines are nothing traditional and should be considered no different then other MODERN rifles in my opinion.
 
thanks mooncoon.
When i read the op's post the first 1st time, he referred to "the fed's" is what sent me down that train of thought.
But upon re-reading it, he was referring to hunting camp bs from 'tellers of tall tales' so it's in agreement that they were full of bs

edit; and the super dooper, inline wonders p*ss me of to no end. I can understand people finding loopholes to exploit in business or monetary affairs.
But hunting is supposed to be a recreational activity. Why on earth some folks can't leave well enough alone? Instead of going into the ml season in the spirit in which it was intended; they trot out the inline ( re; black ml's) wonders.
I really enjoyed dragging my kentucky rifle around.
The fact that a group of small d*cked dorks just had to push it (with the inline wonders) and get the ml season cancelled vexes me to no end.

x 10 !!
 
During deer season a lot of guys use slug guns sabots and scopes and get about the same range as My T/C. So its all kind of Bogus to me.
!

I just looked up the TC Impact and it appears to be an inline shooting saboted slugs. I don't see how slug guns are different from it. More importantly, here in BC, shotgun only areas are usually in areas where there are houses not too far away. The reason for the shotgun is to limit the range of the projectile in the hopes that bullets will not be bumping into houses 1/2 a mile away or more. For that reason, it would not surprise me if saboted slugs were prohibited in a shotgun area because while they might not reach the velocity of say a 30-06, I would expect their maximum range of travel to be considerably farther than a patched round ball.
As others have already said, that would be a provincial wildlife branch decision. At the federal level, post 1898 percussion rifles are modern regardless of what they shoot

cheers mooncoon
 
You might want to Google in-lines as the first one was made in either the 16th or 17th century.Wouldn't it be simpler to ban scopes?Harold
 
You might want to Google in-lines as the first one was made in either the 16th or 17th century.Wouldn't it be simpler to ban scopes?Harold
I think the muzzleloader in-lines everyone has issue with (rightly so) are the modern ones of recent manufacure. Ones that are most often designed primarily around a sabot projectile and have a trajectory nipping at the heals of modern bottlenecked deer capable cartridges.

What do you think?
 
even though I do not like inlines, let's not forget that the original question was "will they be or is it likely that they will be reclassified". The point is that often shotgun only areas are created because of the proximity of dwellings and similar and the need to limit the maximum range of the guns being used to hunt with

cheers mooncoon
 
You guys sound as bad as the old codgers at the skeet range that think you can't break a clay without at least a $2500 over and under.... The difference between an inline and a slug gun is that you only get one shot and you have to make it count....

Tokguy... for someone from Alberta you sure sound a lot like someone from Bantario... maybe you should be angry at your gubbermint for making a stupid arbitrary decision rather than being angry at people who love hunting and were doing what they felt was right to extend their season....
 
for me inlines and rifled slug guns have no place but rifle season theres really no point to a rifled slug gun for one because the place I go up north allow rifles and shotguns to be used in deer moose and bear seasons id much rather pick up a rifle same go's for inlines

I you don't like flinch locks then get a percussion gun
 
You might want to Google in-lines as the first one was made in either the 16th or 17th century.Wouldn't it be simpler to ban scopes?Harold

yeah but they did not use .209 shot gun primers pyrodex pellets and saboted bullets nor could they have a scope mounted the first inlines used flint black powder and a patched round ball
 
When it started up here it was touted as a "BLACK POWDER" season.

I was one of many who thought it might be fun to haul out the Snider or the Martini or the little Kar '71 (.43M) and go huntin'.

When they got everything up and running, it turned out it was MUZZLELOADERS ONLY.

Muzzleloaders turned into Inlines with synthetic stocks, saboted bullets, scopes and rangefinders.

The Sniders have to compete with the .300 Weatherbys and BARs.

Even playing field, y'know.

If it's "Primitive Weapons" it should be original or quality duplicate black-powder single-shots with iron sights.
 
Back
Top Bottom