looking for suggestions on sights

bumperfood

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a TC Hawken that I have taken to the range a few times now, and have enjoyed shooting it emensely. It took a while but now I have come to realise that my eyes are no longer up to the task of using the sights that came with the rifle. I have done some research and feel that a scope may be my best option, however, my rifle has no tapped holes to install the mounts. I would like to mount the scope fairly far up the barrel so that I would be able to clean the barrel with the scope mounted. Does anyone have any ideas or solutions in this regard. Any and all comments welcomed.
 
A red dot sight would work well for your application. Eye relief isn't an issue with them so they would be able to mount farther forward on the barrel. I put one on a 1911 and my groups tightened up significantly from using iron sights. Vortex makes a good one.
 
Think about an aperture sight. I have used peep sights all my life, as did my father and grandfather, but I have only recently realised how well they work for aging eyesight. Last summer I bought a Pedersoli Gibbs rifle, with the intention of trying the sport of LRML. The Gibbs comes with a long range vernier tang sight, and globe front sight. I struggled with focusing properly, until I read a bit someplace about a thing called a "Hadley eye cup", and the proper use of it, along the interchangeable inserts for the globe sight. I hummed and hawed for a while, and ended up ordering one. It changes everything! The Hadley cup has 9 different apertures that you can change with the flick of your finger. It is amazing to look through it, and watch the world go in and out of focus as you spin the little disc from one aperture to the next. They are available for a variety of brands of sights, from Buffalo Arms.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/hadley_eye_cups_pr-4084.aspx for the cup
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3750 for a variety of sights available
Of course, if you have your heart set on mounting a scope on that nice rifle, that is your choice...:stirthepot2:
Glen
 
I just happen to have the perfect solution sitting upstairs right now. Its a base that replaces your rear sight and it came off of a tc hawken in 54 cal. I also have a shield that you attach to the tang and it covers the cap/nipple to help prevent fouling of the optics. An a better part of it is...I am not using it so ....if it will help ya out...I can part with it...The base is a one piece steel base,made by Burris,blued and in mint shape.:p...I tried to get a pic of it but my battery was low in my camera so its recharging right now..
 
As Glen said, peeps can make a huge difference. If you haven't tried them you should find someone with a decent setup and see what you think. I cannot shoot open sights well at all, but can do as well with my aperture sights as I can with my 6x MVA scope.

Chris.
 
First let me thank everyone for all the suggestions, I do appreciate them.

A red dot sight would work well for your application. Eye relief isn't an issue with them so they would be able to mount farther forward on the barrel. I put one on a 1911 and my groups tightened up significantly from using iron sights. Vortex makes a good one.


For me this sounds like a plausible solution, especially as I do not expect to shoot past about 100 metres. I am going into town on Tuesday and will have a look at them, one of our sporting goods stores is now a dealer for Vortex.

get a smith to drill and tap for a scope base and use a scout scope setup

I did not know this was possible without compromising the barrel, I would be doing it at least 60cm up the barrel. Would this not weaken the barrel?



Think about an aperture sight. I have used peep sights all my life, as did my father and grandfather, but I have only recently realised how well they work for aging eyesight. Last summer I bought a Pedersoli Gibbs rifle, with the intention of trying the sport of LRML. The Gibbs comes with a long range vernier tang sight, and globe front sight. I struggled with focusing properly, until I read a bit someplace about a thing called a "Hadley eye cup", and the proper use of it, along the interchangeable inserts for the globe sight. I hummed and hawed for a while, and ended up ordering one. It changes everything! The Hadley cup has 9 different apertures that you can change with the flick of your finger. It is amazing to look through it, and watch the world go in and out of focus as you spin the little disc from one aperture to the next. They are available for a variety of brands of sights, from Buffalo Arms.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/hadley_eye_cups_pr-4084.aspx for the cup
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3750 for a variety of sights available
Of course, if you have your heart set on mounting a scope on that nice rifle, that is your choice...:stirthepot2:
Glen

I have seen apature sights that attach to the tang, but thought that because I would be constantly removing the barrel to clean it, the point of aim would change each time I replaced the barrel. The eye cup is an interesting concept, but I wonder how well it would work while hunting?

I just happen to have the perfect solution sitting upstairs right now. Its a base that replaces your rear sight and it came off of a tc hawken in 54 cal. I also have a shield that you attach to the tang and it covers the cap/nipple to help prevent fouling of the optics. An a better part of it is...I am not using it so ....if it will help ya out...I can part with it...The base is a one piece steel base,made by Burris,blued and in mint shape.:p...I tried to get a pic of it but my battery was low in my camera so its recharging right now..

This sounds very promising, it would not compromise the integrity of the barrel, and is far enough ahead that whatever I mount on it would not have to be dunked ito hot water when cleaning the barrel. I will PM you shortly.

As Glen said, peeps can make a huge difference. If you haven't tried them you should find someone with a decent setup and see what you think. I cannot shoot open sights well at all, but can do as well with my aperture sights as I can with my 6x MVA scope.

Chris.

I have shot a 30/30 with a ghost sight and found it improved accuracy, however, my rifle is not tapped for any mounts. I would have to know some more about doing this before considering it. But I shall look into it.
 
Here is a picture of the Gibbs with the Hadley eye cup.

Here is a pic of my T/C Renegade with a Williams tang mounted sight.

Here is my Lyman Great Plains with an old Marbles tang sight.

And finally, my 1886 45-90 with an old Lyman.

Sorry for the giant pics...I guess I haven't got this figured out yet.
Glen
 
I have seen apature sights that attach to the tang, but thought that because I would be constantly removing the barrel to clean it, the point of aim would change each time I replaced the barrel. The eye cup is an interesting concept, but I wonder how well it would work while hunting?

That would be a logical assumption, Bumperfoot, but in practice, it isn't a problem. I promise you that this is the set-up used by virtually every world class Long Range Muzzle Loader (LRML) competitor. It is also the rig used by me :rolleyes: without issue.
As for hunting, the eye cup works excellent, up to a point. The whole point of changing aperture sizes is to regulate the amount of light that enters your eye. As the sun goes down, switch to a larger aperture, allowing more light in. I will admit that it has its limitations compared to a scope, but muzzle loading season is supposed to be a primitive weapon season, after all.
As always, YMMV.
Glen
 
you can also check out the idea of a long-eye-relief scope intended for a handgun. It would mount on the barrel ahead of the breech so it would not interfere with hammer and nipple, barrel removal or cleaning. You might even be able to retain the open sights in case the scope gets messed up on a hunt.
 
Search for a TC peep sight. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/62...hite-mountain-carbine-and-pennsylvania-hunter
620637.jpg
The aperture unscrews for a large hole good for hunting and low light.
 
I recieved a package in the mail today from icehunter121 with a mount that fits my Hawken to a "T". It takes the place of the rear sight, and is made by Burris. I very much appreciate the ideas from all of you, and I think a red dot or variant will be on it soon. Heading into town this weekend to have looksee. I have got so much help on this forum since I joined, I hope to be able to pay it forward as I learn.
 
Back
Top Bottom