Possible antique pistol

Thechosennewfie

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, I recently acquired a silver pistol that I believe is chambered in a .32. My father-in-law passed I to me and he said it was a .38 but from what I could find on the gun, they were chambered in .32 calibre. It's a Hopkins and Allen, that breaks open from the top with a 6 round barrel magazine. I do not currently have any pictures because I am way from home at the moment but I will be posting pics once I return home. Basically from what I could find from researching on the Internet was that the company stopped making guns in 1912 which would make this pistol at least a 100 years old. One of my biggest questions would be if anyone knows f there were any companies out there that made replicas and maybe a ballpark on value vases on good condition. I will post pictures soon to make it a little easier. Thanks in advance for any info you folks can provide. Cheers
 
Last edited:
Here's what the RCMP says:

(Antique handguns are defined as...) manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or adapted to discharge .32 Short Colt, .32 Long Colt, .32 Smith and Wesson,

Also...

Prohibited firearms include:

handguns with a barrel length of 105 mm or less and handguns that discharge .25 or .32 calibre ammunition, except for a few specific ones used in International Shooting Union competitions;

In short, you are most likely in the possession of a prohibited handgun.
 
I don't think anyone makes replicas of Hopkins & Allen pistols, but there are companies that make replicas of other old pistols, and if you look at some of the sponsors, and at the "antiques" part of the Equipment Exchange, you'll find several. 1898 is the magic date for determining antiquity of a firearm, and if nobody here knows yours (I don't), you might call the Firearms Centre with the serial number. H & A pistols were low cost pistols when they were produced, and do not have great value now, but they are an interesting development in pistol manufacture. There's a fair amount of information on line, if you want to take the time to look it up. It's a nice family heirloom. Good luck with it.
 
Hey folks, I recently acquired a silver pistol that I believe is chambered in a .32. My father-in-law passed I to me and he said it was a .38 but from what I could find on the gun, they were chambered in .32 calibre. It's a Hopkins and Allen, that breaks open from the top with a 6 round barrel magazine. I do not currently have any pictures because I am way from home at the moment but I will be posting pics once I return home. Basically from what I could find from researching on the Internet was that the company stopped making guns in 1912 which would make this pistol at least a 100 years old. One of my biggest questions would be if anyone knows f there were any companies out there that made replicas and maybe a ballpark on value vases on good condition. I will post pictures soon to make it a little easier. Thanks in advance for any info you folks can provide. Cheers

Even if you have .32 revolver, you may get 12.7 prohibited status and keep the gun. Just make sure you have all the paperwork for it.
 
Antique status trumps prohibited status, this is why short barrel pocket pistols, if in the correct caliber, are considered antique. You will need to confirm the caliber.
 
Cheer up!

It IS possible.

Father in law wills the gun to his daughter, who then wills it to her husband.
No one needs to die in the process.
Painless, apart from a little paper-work.

Be happy Eh!

Or better yet, father buys another 12(6) to keep status. Will gun to daughter who gets her pal if she doesn't yet have it, gets another gun willed to her and then wills that to husband. No two more 12(7) pal holders.

Now get father to buy and transfer buy way more 12(7)s on down.

Lucky buggers.
 
mite be antique but it also mite be prohibited since you called the cylinder a barrel magazine I doubt you will be able to tell the difference if its prohibited SSS

Well, he does call himself thechosennewfie :p

OP - your best bet is to message the Blackpowder and antique forum mods - they'll be able to help you determine what you have and how to deal with it in a legal way.
 
Back
Top Bottom