Muzzleloader

Stewie333

Regular
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I just purchased my first Inline muzzleloader and am going to try the Hornady 300 grain with sabbots. I would also like to try a non sabboted round but I am not familiar with what my options are bullet wise. I have seen the 330 grain .50 cal bullets from bullet barn. Would these work? Is it better to stick with the sabboted type?

Thanks
 
Black powder shooters tend to be thrifty so paying for projectiles is on the bottom of the list.
Paying for things to contain projectiles is even less desirable.
 
Thanks for the feedback.

At this time, I am not prepared to invest in my own casting process. Is there a Canadian supplier for cast boolits?
 
Sabots why would you want to reinvent the wheel.

This.

Sabots formulas have come a long way and now are routinely pushed passed 2000fps without deformation. I hunt around the 1600 fps ranges with 300 gr XTPs. If your ML is 1:28 twist, it was originally intended for sabots. Full bore bullets really shine in the 1:48 twist.


Casting is a bit of a science as pure lead is a PITA to dependably source and bullets cast from wheel weights are never the same composition between batches. Cabelas, WSS, BassPro all stock a selection of full lead bullets.

I used to mail order from PR bullets out of Enola, MB. A little pricey, but they have a great selection of extruded lead bullets. They are on the web and take all manner of payment.

Powerbelts are $hitt. Let us never speak of them again.
 
Okay, thanks.

I had no idea that the rate of twist mattered for cast bullets vs sabbots. I'm not trying for re-invent anything, I simply prefer a heavy slower moving bullet for hunting. Long shots are 100 yards max, and many are in the 3 to 15 yard range. My .30-06 loads are 220 grain round nose to prevent excessive meat damage at close range.
 
I shoot hornady 302 grain green sabot 100 grain white hot very accurate and deadly.Shots from 5 to 200 yards
 
Back
Top Bottom