Lambs Talo

Tallow has lots of uses.

I am getting some from our local (actual) butcher; it will become rush-lights, candles.

If he has some which has zero salt, that would be handy for a hardening/tempering bath, especially for blades. Whale oil and seal oil are just so darned hard to get.
 
There is a huge sheep farm near Dryden Ontario..Have Hides, Coats, etc. They used to Handle it...Can't recall the name of the farm. It's called EGLI'S Sheep Farm Dryden Ontario....Good Luck
 
Last edited:
Does any member know a Canadian source for lambs talo?

Grocery store, frozen foods section. Usually labelled as "Lamb". :)

Take a look and you'll find lots there usually. Cook on a broiler pan, with a low heat so as to be able to collect the drippings, or stew the stuff and cool, pick the hardened fat off the top of the pot.

I'll let you find recipes that you figure look good to your taste. Greek with lots of lemon, or roasted low, slow, and forever, and served with mint sauce, are my preferred, for the few times I eat the stuff.

If you can get hold of a butcher that processes lamb, and can convince him to save some trim for you, so much the better.
Grind the trim or cut it fine, cook it and collect the fat. Chuck the saved fat in to a pot with some water to 'wash' it, just bring the whole lot to a boil and allow to cool again, pick the clean fat off the top when cooled.

I'm sure there are at least a couple craft type outlets selling clean tallow, but do not have any leads for you.

Cheers
Trev
 
Grocery store, frozen foods section. Usually labelled as "Lamb".

Cheers
Trev

LOL! Great answer. Sometimes the obvious is there for all to see! LOL Until I read this, I to was wondering where I could get this stuff! LOL
I do wonder if the "talo" also contains the component "lanolin" that is prized in the wool/coat of this critter?
 
LOL! Great answer. Sometimes the obvious is there for all to see! LOL Until I read this, I to was wondering where I could get this stuff! LOL
I do wonder if the "talo" also contains the component "lanolin" that is prized in the wool/coat of this critter?

Nope. Lanolin comes from the wool. It is comparable to the oil in our hair, and keeps the long strand of wool from cracking and falling off, as well as aiding in waterproofing the sheep somewhat.
Your best bet for lanolin is to be checking with the Health Food stores and Natural Remedy type places. Anhydrous Lanolin is sold as a hand and body creme to use to avoid chapping and cracked skin, as well as as a component in some make-ups.

Tallow is just the cleaned up fat from the same animals. Used for making candles of sorts (rush lights, tallow tapers) it burns pretty cleanly, as well as being used again in some recipes for stuff like lip balm and hand cremes, as a hardener or stiffener in the mixture to keep it from being liquid glop.

Other than a couple places in the US that cater to the BP lube set, I have not read of any suppliers that will mail order the stuff, so cannot really put you on to a source.

Yeah. Bloody expensive at the grocery store. Pick and choose based on what you want it for. Used to see bulk bags of saw-cut cubes of lamb in the freezer section that were pretty fatty looking, as well as being quite reasonably priced. If you cannot find a primary source (ie: someone that will sell you tallow directly) the meat may be your best chance. You are going to have to get pretty tired of lamb chops to come up with a useful supply of the stuff. The expensive cuts have less fat, eh. Go cheap, and keep in mind which stuff you are after when shopping for it.

Cheers
Trev
 
Have you considered using chicken tallow instead?..cheaper and easier to get. I once collected a small margarine tub full of the stuff over a couple months of chicken dinners. Used it for sealing the chambers of my cap and ball revolver.
 
Have you considered using chicken tallow instead?..cheaper and easier to get. I once collected a small margarine tub full of the stuff over a couple months of chicken dinners. Used it for sealing the chambers of my cap and ball revolver.

Do you use this on an open top Colt?

Kind of like having chicken and wedges huh??? ;) (northern living humor right here)

lol.................
 
Back in the 70's one could buy Lanolin in tubes at the Drug store. It makes great resizing lub [my favorite]. I haven't been able to find it lately. Does anyone know where you can purchase it these days?
 
Back
Top Bottom