Chamber inserts and morris tubes?

I made a insert chambered in 22 Hornet, a year or so ago and intended to fit in the shotgun barrel of a drilling. The insert was about 10" long roughly. What was significant is that the drilling was an extremely tight action and hammerless. That meant that after firing, the firing pin remained forward and made the gun difficult to open if shot with a full load. With lighter loads, everything worked fine. Worth noting that the problem may exist for many hinge action guns with tight actions and with falling block rifles

cheers mooncoon
 
Was unfamiliar with the Morris tube so I googled it. Used similar sub-cal adapter kits in the old FN-C1 when I served in the reserves. Didn't realize the idea had such long standing.

Assuming you can get ahold of one, and get dies and brass to keep it fed, seeing as it's of the same vintage as the original gun, I can't see any reason to regard the whole set up as anything but antique. Of course that is just how I see it.....any given cop/conservation officer may take a quite different view. Then one could find oneself in court fighting to retain a cherished heirloom. Best all round if your friend just takes the course and gets their PAL. Then they can have all kinds of fun.... with antiques or otherwise.
 
Was unfamiliar with the Morris tube so I googled it. Used similar sub-cal adapter kits in the old FN-C1 when I served in the reserves. Didn't realize the idea had such long standing.

Assuming you can get ahold of one, and get dies and brass to keep it fed, seeing as it's of the same vintage as the original gun, I can't see any reason to regard the whole set up as anything but antique. Of course that is just how I see it.....any given cop/conservation officer may take a quite different view. Then one could find oneself in court fighting to retain a cherished heirloom. Best all round if your friend just takes the course and gets their PAL. Then they can have all kinds of fun.... with antiques or otherwise.

its centerfire and under 8mm. the morris tubes are a bit rare now they go for more then martinis in most cases dies can be had bullet molds can be had and brass can be made from .22 hornet. funny thing is ive heard stories of people using morris tubes as rebar.
 
its centerfire and under 8mm. the morris tubes are a bit rare now they go for more then martinis in most cases dies can be had bullet molds can be had and brass can be made from .22 hornet. funny thing is ive heard stories of people using morris tubes as rebar.

If the stories are true it could account for the present scarcity of Morris tubes...lol. While I realize these are cf and smaller than 8mm, I don't believe that has any bearing. The Morris tube is not a rifle in, and of, itself; it is merely an accessory for a 19th century military weapon....no different from a bayonet or a cartridge box. That's my take on it anyways.
 
. While I realize these are cf and smaller than 8mm, I don't believe that has any bearing. The Morris tube is not a rifle in, and of, itself; it is merely an accessory for a 19th century military weapon....no different from a bayonet or a cartridge box. That's my take on it anyways.

The tube itself is just a spare part legally but I think the question asked by the OP was; "would installing one make an otherwise antique rifle into a modern rifle classification". The current problem at the moment is not one of registration but can a person without a PAL or POL possess a modified rifle. I think the answer is that gun, while modified, would be considered modern for licensing purposes and antique for licensing purposes when not installed. Worth noting from personal experience, that the frame or receiver of a 25 or 32 cal (only) handgun is prohibited not just the complete gun. The significance is that while a handgun that is prohibited by caliber but which was made in multiple calibers, can seemingly be altered to restricted or antique depending on age of production, one which was made in either of those calibers only will remain prohibited.

cheers mooncoon
 
The tube itself is just a spare part legally but I think the question asked by the OP was; "would installing one make an otherwise antique rifle into a modern rifle classification". The current problem at the moment is not one of registration but can a person without a PAL or POL possess a modified rifle. I think the answer is that gun, while modified, would be considered modern for licensing purposes and antique for licensing purposes when not installed. Worth noting from personal experience, that the frame or receiver of a 25 or 32 cal (only) handgun is prohibited not just the complete gun. The significance is that while a handgun that is prohibited by caliber but which was made in multiple calibers, can seemingly be altered to restricted or antique depending on age of production, one which was made in either of those calibers only will remain prohibited.

cheers mooncoon

It's a similar situation with the Swiss Vetterli. The "common wisdom" is that - rimfire bolt or no bolt, and it's an antique, insert a bolt converted to centrefire and it's no longer an antique, remove it and it's back to an antique. These non-permanent mods present interesting scenarios.
 
Back
Top Bottom