inline advice

kferguson

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
168   0   0
Fellow CGNers,
I have come to the sad conclusion that I need a scoped muzzle loader for deer hunting. I had to get glasses a couple of years ago (made it past 50 without needing them ;-)) but I still need a scope. I can't bring myself to scope my late fathers TC Hawken that I have hunted with for many years and my Pedersoli flintlock would look really retarded (politically incorrect I know) with one. I have had too many misses or shots I had to pass up because I couldn't see my sights.

This is my long winded intro to the fact I am in the market for an inline. I always thought I would buy a TC Encore but they are freakin $$$ and some of Traditions and CVA offerings seem competitive. I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences with inlines, both good and bad. If I start working on this now, I may actually be ready by November:)

And sometimes if the mood strikes me and the lighting is good, old "Killdeer" and I might still be out and about in the autumn woods.
 
I hear what you are saying lads, but a scope will give me another half hour of light at both ends of the day.

That and about 100 extra yards. If Alberta had a restriction on muzzleloaders, I would be more puritan about it. For the most part my hunting opportunities, landowner access and parties I hunt with all lend themselves more to inline.
 
I went through the same thing 2 years ago and even tried peep sights. They helped in good light, but early morning and evenings were worse than the old sights. I ended up with a Traditions buck stalker, and besides scope trouble it has been good. It sure was a treat to clean compared to my old trade rifle, and this year I switched to blackthorn 209 and it is great. If I were you I would look at the traditions and the TC models and see what feels best.
 
Thanks to all for your input, especially hakx and snowshoe for staying on topic. I don't really need to be talked into staying with my present gear, I've done a pretty fair job of that myself these past few years. I need to know specifics about "modern muzzleloaders" you have tried and liked, tried and hated :) and specifics like scope mounts, ease of loading/unloading, nifty features like palm saver ramrods, etc. and reliability in the rain. Hopefully you can help me decide.
Thanks!
Kevin
 
I live in Nova Scotia and this was our first year for extended "primitive" weapon season. I always said if we had an extended season I would go for it. After checking out both Traditions and TC models at my local dealer I went with a TC Impact. Cost was a factor in my decision. After shouldering all the guns it fit the best. The way the action opened seemed simple and reliable. I had read Chuck Hawks review of this model and it seemed favorable. They liked Barnes Spitfire T-EZ saboted projectiles and my local shop had them. I used these over 2 x 50 grain pellets of Triple Seven. I borrowed a few Hornady rounds from a friend to see how they performed. They grouped well but there was an expected POI shift. I had a 32mm fixed power scope and low rings at home so I only needed to purchase the scope base. On this gun a low scope definitely interferes with the hammer. It is usable but during late season it required removing my glove. A hammer extension or taller rings would help here. As for as loading and unloading go I read what was recommended and decided on my own safe system. If conditions were dry I didn't unload the rifle after every hunt, I removed the cap to comply with the law. This and discharging to unload would be illegal after sunset. What I did do which is not described is to remove the breech plug and after picking the pellets out use the ram rod to push the projectile out the breech. I retried the saboted round which had been removed at the range to see if accuracy was affected. I tried it at 50 yards and it seemed fine. There was no need to go further as the distance the deer will be at is about the same. As far as Ramrods go the TC one that comes with the gun isn't great. I bought the upgraded one with the folding handle and use the factory one at the bench for a dedicated cleaning rod. I know my post is all over the place but I hope it answers a few of your questions. J
 
Use what you want. Myself, I'm considering a peep as my tired old eyes are having issues and I prefer the "puritan" challenge. But it's a personal choice for the individual.

I have no experience with in-lines but expect any reputable manufacturer would produce a good firearm.
 
I'd go with the CVA(Inlines are all they do now) and wouldn't care about anything else. Plan 'B' would be high visibility sights, like William's Fire Sights, on the Hawken. TC doesn't make exact replicas of anything so it doesn't matter what you put on 'em. Your da would likely think more of you for respecting the game than he would about sentiment.
 
My Traditions Buck Stalker is a break open with a breech plug you can remove with your fingers, no wrench needed. It is a nice and easy rifle to handle and clean, especially when you use Blackhorn 209 powder. I would take a long look at the TC Impact, because TC has always made a good product. My first choice was the TC but they didn't have any in stock at the time, and I was so mad at not being able to take the shot on a good buck the evening before.
 
I been hunting with one for about 15 years now, have had a scope mounted since day one. I have one of the older ones, a Knight USAK .50 inline. Uses #11 percussion caps, is a b*tch to clean but is deadly out to 125 yards. A lot better ones out there nowadays, Mine has accounted for about 20 deer and 1 moose. I think I paid $160.00 back then. This one does it for me.
 
Fellow CGNers,
I have come to the sad conclusion that I need a scoped muzzle loader for deer hunting. I had to get glasses a couple of years ago (made it past 50 without needing them ;-)) but I still need a scope. I can't bring myself to scope my late fathers TC Hawken that I have hunted with for many years and my Pedersoli flintlock would look really retarded (politically incorrect I know) with one. I have had too many misses or shots I had to pass up because I couldn't see my sights.

This is my long winded intro to the fact I am in the market for an inline. I always thought I would buy a TC Encore but they are freakin $$$ and some of Traditions and CVA offerings seem competitive. I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences with inlines, both good and bad. If I start working on this now, I may actually be ready by November:)

And sometimes if the mood strikes me and the lighting is good, old "Killdeer" and I might still be out and about in the autumn woods.

FWIW, I REALLY like my CVA Accura V2. It's all sorts of awesome and the barrel shoots like a laser beam. Do NOT get the CVA brand one-piece mount. I'm unimpressed by it. Better to get a pair of bases and use some nice steel rings. I have a Laupold Ultimate Slam on mine in Leupold QD rings and no complaints with the combo. It's nice to be able to remove the optics for cleaning and they are repeatable when re-installed.

The Accura is a big improvement over the Wolf and Optima lines in my view. The trigger and latch mechanism are both better and the barrel is better quality. The breech plug is removable without tools which is a big plus.

YMMV.
 
Back
Top Bottom