Nimrod

pitw

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Location
Alberta
I always wondered where this term came from until about 25 years ago when I came across this cool little tool. It's use was to trim the top of paper shotgun cartridges so they could be rolled nicely. I have seen like one other in my life and it was on an internet site that has the most lovely tools in the world. If anyone has one would they please chime in as I am wondering if they came with the 10, 12, 16 and 20 gauge disc. This one is for 12 gauge.
IMG_4193.jpg

IMG_4192.jpg
 
Hmmm, seeing that tool reminds me ....

what do you get when you use pinking shears to perform a circumcision? A frill dilly.

Sorry, I'll go back on my meds .....
 
Nimrod goes back a little further than that. He's a character first mentioned (I think) in Genesis - grandson of Noah or so the story goes...
 
Actually son of Cush and great grand son of Ham, I think, which makes him a descendant of Noah. He is credited as the builder of the Tower of Babel and the founder of Babylon.

Nimrod is also a term applied to great hunters and that name has been applied to sub-hunters and other things associated with the hunt.

No where near as much fun to know the truth, is it .... ?
 
Actually son of Cush and great grand son of Ham, I think, which makes him a descendant of Noah. He is credited as the builder of the Tower of Babel and the founder of Babylon.

Nimrod is also a term applied to great hunters and that name has been applied to sub-hunters and other things associated with the hunt.

No where near as much fun to know the truth, is it .... ?



In the 1920's-1960's it was also used to sarcastically refer to people who thought themselves to be great hunters.


McBride does this in A Rifleman Went to War.


BTW, I actually do not recall any mention of the Nimrod in Genesis being a constructor of the Tower of Babel.
 
I suppose we all have to believe in something. I'll keep believing that my nimrod is the coolest find I made in reloading. I take it none of you who answered knows a thing about them.
 
I was told that Nimrod wore the garments of the Holy Priesthood and fooled the animals into believing they could trust him. He fooled so many and killed so many that they called him the mighty hunter. From this time forth, God put enmity between animal and man so that they would have a natural fear of man. We have Nimrod to thank for animals running away from us.

Actually son of Cush and great grand son of Ham, I think, which makes him a descendant of Noah. He is credited as the builder of the Tower of Babel and the founder of Babylon.

Nimrod is also a term applied to great hunters and that name has been applied to sub-hunters and other things associated with the hunt.

No where near as much fun to know the truth, is it .... ?
 
Now I know who to blame .....

Pitw - if there is no maker's name on the tool, it is likely a proprietary accessory that came with a shotgun. If the disc is removable, it likely could be converted to other gauges.

"Form follows function" - or at least, it should.
 
Okay I tried to take a couple closer ups[my pic taking skills match my IQ] for you. Not sure if NIMROD is the makers name or the model. If anyone recognizes any of these marks, please reply as I don't.
IMG_8022.jpg

IMG_8023.jpg


I do know it looks pretty cool next to this unit.
IMG_8024.jpg


And makes this one work better.
IMG_8026.jpg
 
I did not recognize the mark but I did find it. I found that someone was selling a manual extractor with that mark on it. (Ebay UK)

Here is the description: "Vintage 'Nimrod' 12Bore/Gauge Shotgun Manual Cartridge Ejector.... For extracting cartridges from a non automatic ejector shotgun....110mm Long... Made by W.Bartram & Co.... Some pitting, otherwise solid in construction...."

Cool stuff BTW! Very interesting reloading tools.
 
"Nimrod" was also the trademark of a German company making sporting ammunition and guns 'way, 'way back.

I have a single cartridge that they made: 8.3x82R, IIRC.
 
Back
Top Bottom