Using a CVA .45 Cal. Kit rifle.

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
My first rifle was bought as a kit, it was sold back in the 1970's but remained as a kit until I bought it 3 or 4 years ago. I have included a somewhat fuzzy (damned autofocus) picture of the cap lock. The lock is not reliable if the rifle is loaded normally.
In order to get the rifle to fire I have to tap the side of the rifle as it is horizontal many times with a small mallet in the belief that powder gets down into the drum and this works most of the time if the bore is clean. If the bore has even one shot down it even tapping won't work so I also have to run a cleaning patch through it, then add the powder then tap.
All of this takes time and the main problem is that I can't keep up to the pace of other shooters during a course of fire.
I suspect that the distance between the cap and the charge is the main problem and the right angle that the flame has to make on its way to the charge makes it worse.
I am wondering if any one else has a similar rifle and has come up with a better routine ie: faster than the one I use or has any other suggestions to improve the reliability of this one.
I am using #11 CCI caps and Goex FFFG powder.
Thanks for any help with this...other than the ignition problem it is an accurate rifle and I would like to keep on using it.



 
Lots of this styl;e shoot very reliably. Things I would check are , is the chamber free of build up, is the drum free of build up, and is the nipple clogged?
I would scrub/scrape the chamber, and drum, followed by a good hot water wash with the nipple removed and pump lots of good hot soapy water thru it.
Take a good look at the nipple and clean it too.
Pete
 
Is that the correct nipple? Just a thought here, but it looks (in your last picture) like it's pretty "tall"...check your threads and make sure it doesn't seat too deep in the drum. Most are a fairly consistent threaded length but they do make oddball nipples.

Could just be the angle of the picture but I'd check it anyway.

Good luck
 
Is that the correct nipple? Just a thought here, but it looks (in your last picture) like it's pretty "tall"...check your threads and make sure it doesn't seat too deep in the drum. Most are a fairly consistent threaded length but they do make oddball nipples.

Could just be the angle of the picture but I'd check it anyway.

Good luck

You might be on to something with the nipple.
 
I clean the drum out with a pipe cleaner after every session and it reaches right into the chamber but I will check the nipple, the end of it partially obstructs the channel when fully threaded in. I will try to find a replacement for this one which was included in the kit. If others are having success with this design it is more than likely the nipple that is causing problems.
I will check back after replacing and testing a new nipple...thanks for the help on this one.
 
Back
Top Bottom