32-20 availability??

wd113

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
My friend has an old lever winchester that he inherited years ago. He just told me he found out it is a 32-20, model 1873. Anybody know where this ammo can be found? thanks!!
 
Make it would probably be the best way. OR better yet - I'd trade him some ammo for the gun ... Seriously though, buying factory ammo is tough but components can be "procured". I have both 1873 and 1892 in 32-20. How much ammo are we talking about. Do you or friend reload?
 
My friend has an old lever winchester that he inherited years ago. He just told me he found out it is a 32-20, model 1873. Anybody know where this ammo can be found? thanks!!
Not sure where you are located exactly in SW Ontario but one of the last times I was at Fred's Gun Repair in Delhi they had a couple boxes in stock,Winchester brand.
 
It is still commercially made and the Winchester commercial stuff is very safe in an original 73. Shooter's Choice in Waterloo might have some.
 
I have a pair of Winchesters to handle this round, a '73 and a '92, both with factory over-length barrels.

I would not run current factory ammo in a '73; the barrel were generally very soft.

LEAD bullets are the way to go.

Brass is still available.

Run your own slugs and you can load this one nicely for $5 a box..... of FIFTY.
 
I've got a Savage Sporter in 32-20 that I was lucky enough to purchase with 2 1/2 boxes of factory shells. I have seen it on the shelf at Lake Huron Rod And Gun in Underwood and I believe I've seen it in Gobles of London, but I'd call first.

I do plan on rolling my own in the not-too-distant future, especially after hearing what smellie had to say. I know that Starline makes the brass for it.
 
I'm proficient enough at reloading but the 32-20 is proving somewhat troublesome. The tapered case is prone to crumpling til you get everything dialed in.
IMO
 
I could be wrong here but the last box of Winchester 32-20 ammo I bought some 10 years ago was lead, not jacketed. I chronographed it at around 1,180 fps
 
I could be wrong here but the last box of Winchester 32-20 ammo I bought some 10 years ago was lead, not jacketed. I chronographed it at around 1,180 fps
The last few boxes of Winchester factory loads I checked over were definitely plain lead bullets as well,that was just a few months ago.
 
I'm proficient enough at reloading but the 32-20 is proving somewhat troublesome. The tapered case is prone to crumpling til you get everything dialed in.
IMO

32-20 cases are very thin compared to other more "modern "brass. As you have found out "crinkle" is very common until you get the knack of reloading them. I've loaded lots of them and "slow and deliberate line-up" when feeding into the die is your new best friend. Adequate case lube is essential as well.
 
I could be wrong here but the last box of Winchester 32-20 ammo I bought some 10 years ago was lead, not jacketed. I chronographed it at around 1,180 fps

The last few boxes of Winchester factory loads I checked over were definitely plain lead bullets as well,that was just a few months ago.

Those 2 1/2 boxes I have are Winchester rounds and they are plain lead bullets. By the look of the boxes, I'd say they were at least 10 years old, if not closer to 20.
 
I bought two boxes of Winchester 32-20 two weeks ago. Lead round nose bullets, not jacketed or copper plated. I pulled the bullets, dumped the powder and I full-length sized them in a 30 Carbine carbide die. Out of 100 bullets, only 1 got "crunched", but that was in the 30 Luger expander die, not sizer die. I think I was a little "heavy" on the ram arm :). They may be thin-walled, but they are dead easy to work with. I am making full size 7.5mm Swiss Ordnance cartridges, with great success. I am always on the hunt for more 32-20, and while each box costs me $50, I can reuse the brass over and over. Just as an aside, there are MANY "modern" brass that are thin-walled.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom