What do I have here?

it is a Counet revolver, the latch(single finger) is the fore runner to the Pryse( double finger) system seem on later Webley-Pryse revolvers iirc...

If it's a medium calber I would guess, .380Revolver
 
"Acier Fondu" is not, as many people seem to think, the maker.

It means "CAST STEEL".

Had to mention this. I just about got my head bitten off a couple of years ago when I pointed this out to a guy who was flogging a "rare Acier Fondu" shotgun in the EE. I was just trying to help, but he got right shirty about it.

The "steel" they are talking about is a low-carbon type, although definitely better than bronze, brass or cast-iron or simple wrought-iron.

I would date this as late 1870s, FWIW.

Neat toy!
 
I have a few original Boxer System .380 Revolver cartridges here: formed copper casings with a quite-large shotgun-type (battery-cup) primer in the base, no headstamp.

Bullet is .378" diameter, outside-grooved for lubrication, heel-type. Cases are straight, .378" diameter. Rims are odd, being a folded type and a little thicker at the base of the casing: .042" at the outside edge, .052" at the juncture of rim and case.

If this is what your gun wants, then you have the dimensions.

Hope this helps.
 
"Acier Fondu" is not, as many people seem to think, the maker.

It means "CAST STEEL".

Had to mention this. I just about got my head bitten off a couple of years ago when I pointed this out to a guy who was flogging a "rare Acier Fondu" shotgun in the EE. I was just trying to help, but he got right shirty about it.

The "steel" they are talking about is a low-carbon type, although definitely better than bronze, brass or cast-iron or simple wrought-iron.

I would date this as late 1870s, FWIW.

Neat toy!

ok that's pretty funny!

translated literally I believe it's "molten steel" just like chocolate fondu is "molten chocolate" but it does need to be molten to be cast.

Good info smellie.
 
Price?

As to value OP, a fella I know has this Counet .380 for sale right now for $295usd

bdsq.jpg
 
Probably don't have to mention this, but it's important to point out that .380 Revolver is a black powder cartridge. This should not be confused with the .380/200 ball cartridge adopted by Commonwealth forces in WWII. A mix-up could be fatal.
 
Likely the brass would work, but you still are looking at something with a slug .021" undersize.

Custom loading is the only way.

Besides, if it's a .38 S&W it becomes a Firearm and if the barrel is under 105mm it becomes a Prohib. Remember that 4 inches (102mm) was, for many years, a standard barrel length all over the world. The law was written specifically to ban as many old guns as possible while still looking like the Gummint had respect for something besides its own fat pensions.

It is certainly old enough to be an Antique, so let's try to keep at least this one out of Dofasco's furnaces.
 
Probably don't have to mention this, but it's important to point out that .380 Revolver is a black powder cartridge. This should not be confused with the .380/200 ball cartridge adopted by Commonwealth forces in WWII. A mix-up could be fatal.


And it's worthwhile to point-out that .380 revolver, like .320 revolver, is not a "no-go" antique calibre.


The .38 S&W brass might work (just like .32 short-Colt brass might work), but the bullet-diameters are indeed patently different.
 
What makes you guys all think its a 380 ? look at the cylinder chamber holes in the back of the cylinder id guess its 450 or 455 the chamber walls are kinda thin for a 380 + the holes are way to big.
Counet was a good belgian gun maker to ive had a few of his guns if the actions good and the bores ok its a good antique gun.
The OP should measure the dia of the cylinder holes to me they look 45 caliber not 380.
If its 450 as i suspect its worth more than if it were 380

Looks like it might have paddles on both sides of the frame to tho it could have only one latch and still be 45 caliber.
 
Last edited:
What makes you guys all think its a 380 ? look at the cylinder chamber holes in the back of the cylinder id guess its 450 or 455 the chamber walls are kinda thin for a 380 + the holes are way to big.
Counet was a good belgian gun maker to ive had a few of his guns if the actions good and the bores ok its a good antique gun.
The OP should measure the dia of the cylinder holes to me they look 45 caliber not 380.
If its 450 as i suspect its worth more than if it were 380

Looks like it might have paddles on both sides of the frame to tho it could have only one latch and still be 45 caliber.


Oh, I never said it was a .380 - I just like to rant how a .380 is clearly distinct from a "no-go" .38
 
I purchased a Belgian Warnant revolver in 450 Adams a few months ago for $600. The action on this one is excellent. While very similar to yours I would say that it is some years newer.

I have another revolver marked Acier Fondu. It is rather delicate. Be careful with yours. I would stick to black powder loads or even black powder with some filler to make them even lighter.

I have always wondered about the modern process labeled MIM. I'm sure it is stronger but I wonder how much?


9a05.jpg


a2k7.jpg
 
Last edited:
I purchased a Belgian Warnant revolver in 450 Adams a few months ago for $600. The action on this one is excellent. While very similar to yours I would say that it is some years newer.

I have another revolver marked Acier Fondu. It is rather delicate. Be careful with yours. I would stick to black powder loads or even black powder with some filler to make them even lighter.

I have always wondered about the modern process labeled MIM. I'm sure it is stronger but I wonder how much?


9a05.jpg


a2k7.jpg



I have a revolver almost like that one (though it seems quite sturdy, at least to me)...whereabouts is the acier fondu marking?


The cylinder on mine is "fluted", though - it's not uniformly round like yours.
 
Last edited:
it is a Counet revolver, the latch(single finger) is the fore runner to the Pryse( double finger) system seem on later Webley-Pryse revolvers iirc...

If it's a medium calber I would guess, .380Revolver

What makes you guys all think its a 380 ? look at the cylinder chamber holes in the back of the cylinder id guess its 450 or 455 the chamber walls are kinda thin for a 380 + the holes are way to big.
Counet was a good belgian gun maker to ive had a few of his guns if the actions good and the bores ok its a good antique gun.
The OP should measure the dia of the cylinder holes to me they look 45 caliber not 380.
If its 450 as i suspect its worth more than if it were 380

Looks like it might have paddles on both sides of the frame to tho it could have only one latch and still be 45 caliber.

I said "if" it's a medium caliber. The cylinder is just a black blob for me, can't see the chambers.

This iron was made in .450 Revolver too so it could easily be that.

This is where GOOD pictures would make a difference, even a ruler across a chamber back would indicate caliber.
 
I have a revolver almost like that one (though it seems quite sturdy, at least to me)...whereabouts is the acier fondu marking?


The cylinder on mine is "fluted", though - it's not uniformly round like yours.

Oh, this one isn't cast metal. I was referring to another revolver I have that is marked acier fondu. It is a little 32 cal (320 Revolver). It is so delicate that I wouldn't feel safe shooting it.

To be honest I am not very impressed with the top break style antiques. It is a poor design. When firing the majority of the load is on the top strap and that is the point they have made weakest.
 
Probably don't have to mention this, but it's important to point out that .380 Revolver is a black powder cartridge. This should not be confused with the .380/200 ball cartridge adopted by Commonwealth forces in WWII. A mix-up could be fatal.

My Swiss Ordnance revolver is also a black powder odd-ball cartridge, but I have had excellent results using mild Trail Boss loads. To the OP... that is one neat revolver!! :)
 
Back
Top Bottom