FRT for Bulldog revolver?

Yep - that's a pre-1893 proof so you're most the way there. You can always also wax cast the chambers and mic the casts, and slug the barrel, use those specs and refer to cartridges of the world for the most likely cartridge. (cartridges of the world is available in part online from google books)

After that present your findings to the CFC and request antique paperwork and you're golden. The pre-1893 proof is a great stamp to have on belgian guns - really makes your life easier and is recognized by the CFC.
 
Gustave Prevost

Rifle known as “of garden” of gauge 22 of type FLOBERT.

The barrel octagonal is striped. It is provided with a front sight with ears and a bead to drift.

The extractor is of a rare model and it’s certainly him which is the subject of the patent deposited by Gustave Prevost.

Indeed this extractor with cylinder is actuated by a pedal placed on the right side of the weapon.

While turning this pedal backwards, a small cylinder inserted beside the room and which, when it left, partially encroaches on this one so as to extract the casing by its pad.

Pushed back forwards, the pedal makes return the cylinder in its housing and releases the room thus allowing the loading of a news cartridge.

The hammer is flat of Flobert type with projecting rectangular striker.

Mounting is worked “with English” with a cheek on the left side.

The weapon carries the punches of the proofhouse of Liege, namely:

ELG on star in an oval: acceptance of use of 1846 to 1893.

R under star: countermark of the controller post 1877.

Period of manufacture: between 1877 and 1893.

Other markings are:

PREVOST BREVETE (PATENTS): it is about the mark of the inventor Gustave PREVOST, arquebusier and manufacturer of weapons in Liege street of the Gold Pot, 27. It was registered with the proofhouse of 1876 to 1899. From 1869 to 1899, it deposited ten Belgian patents of inventions including one with MARECHAL, Michel. He is also the purchaser of the patents ABADIE which he then yielded to Léonard SOLEIL.



Thats what i found quick on the belgian little guns web site for you ^
This is a Belgian gun maker he would have made your gun as well.
the Prevost marking on the rifle listed at this web site is the same as on your gun.
Get a 380 cartridge and if it chambers perfect as im sure it will then its a prevost made 380 made pre 1894.
 
Wow. Awesome. You guys really know you're stuff.

Where could I get my hands on brass/dummy rounds? My google-fu seems really weak when it gets to this stuff.
 
original 380 cartridges can be hard to find if you chambers have a slight taper my guess is there 380 you really need one round and they can be hard to find.
I dont have any and dont know where you will find some.
 
for a minute I thought a French guy had hacked yer account Mark :p


there were some .380 mkIIz on the EE a while back.
what is the brass you got with the revolver?
I have pulled the bullets and used mkIIz brass for my .380
 
for a minute I thought a French guy had hacked yer account Mark :p


there were some .380 mkIIz on the EE a while back.
what is the brass you got with the revolver?
I have pulled the bullets and used mkIIz brass for my .380

You meen a french guy who can spell . lol

I just pasted it from the little gun web site theres pics there to but none of any prevost revolvers just the one rifle.
That tells me its a rare gun the OP should send some good pictures to the web site Alan trigger i think runs the place.
He will then add the OPs gun to that web site under the prevost gun builder.
He has posted a few of the guns i have found on his website.
 
for a minute I thought a French guy had hacked yer account Mark :p


there were some .380 mkIIz on the EE a while back.
what is the brass you got with the revolver?
I have pulled the bullets and used mkIIz brass for my .380

I'll keep my eyes peeled then!

Brass is 38 short colt. I'll have to measure it to see if it's fireformed or something.
 
Last edited:
You meen a french guy who can spell . lol

I just pasted it from the little gun web site theres pics there to but none of any prevost revolvers just the one rifle.
That tells me its a rare gun the OP should send some good pictures to the web site Alan trigger i think runs the place.
He will then add the OPs gun to that web site under the prevost gun builder.
He has posted a few of the guns i have found on his website.

I'll look into that, thanks!
 
So, what's the procedure for the letter now? Just call them up and describe it or is there forms?

Must it go to a verifier or can I just email pics?
 
Keep the 38 short colt outa the whole discussion. Remember its not what happens to fit its what was the guns orignal chambering as long as it has not been altered to fire the 38 Colt then your fine (i doubt its been altered if the chambers look shiney and slightly tapered.)
you can use the 38 colt brass to make ammo but for now you do not want it involved at all.
You need a unfired or resized 380 case. then you will see how perfect it fits then you can take pics showing the gun chambering a 380 case perfect .
The gun was not made in 38 short colt or any other type of US round it will be 380 or it will be metric cartridge of some type.
I think its a really rare gun so take your time go about this the right way and you will have a nice antique.
Your best to contact CFC once you have the 380 case for the pictures.
Then just send them all the guns registered info.
What cartridge is it registered as now ?
If its not registered that makes it alot less work.
To get a rcmp letter now its not like it used to be, you need to apply for a GCKey before you can access the system to get a letter.

First tho after you have a 380 resized case contact a TEC at the RCMP firearms center as you need to send lotsa pictures showing the 380 case and chambers and gun they have to make a FRT number for your gun.
They cant just give you another one if theres none in the system now for prevost they have to make a FRT number just for your gun. then you need to apply for the GCKey thing before you can apply for the letter.
If the gun is not registered and its 380 you can just forget the letter theres no law saying you have to have a antique letter.
Just make up a file with all the info and keep it with your gun.

Just hope it really is 380 if they gave you 38 Short colt to use then my best guess is it is 380 but they cant find any 380 and are useing whats out there.
If you do not get a rcmp letter for it i would not be useing 38 short colt ammo in it being as that ammo is on the No list of cartridges.
Anyone in law enforcement will asume its not antique and could seize it.

Theses guns in weird calibers are a pain but fun to. I just bought a M 1869 Werder single shot pistol. they shoot a great big single shot cartridge 11mm i have to find some 348 winchester brass to remake the ammo for this pistol.
Its a pain but worth it as there a powerfull single shot German pistol that will be fun to post pictures of in the antique bear defence threds LOL
 
Wow, I never would have thought that gun might be so uncommon...

Now to find that elusive 380 brass.

Would a cerrosafe chamber cast be ''enough evidence'' or is the brass route the only option?
 
Wow, I never would have thought that gun might be so uncommon...

Now to find that elusive 380 brass.

Would a cerrosafe chamber cast be ''enough evidence'' or is the brass route the only option?

a chamber cast will show that 38 S&W brass are a perfect fit too, as are the short Colt I believe.
This is because those rounds were based on (rip offs) the original .380 Revolver round.

I have factory BP 38S&W that won't chamber because the bullet is too long/square, but pull the bullet and the brass fits perfect and other than a little variation in the rim is virtually the same dimensions as the .380 brass.

I always avoided using the 38S&W brass for the exact reason Dingus gave and fireformed 38spl brass instead, although I use 38 S&W dies for reloading.

your best bet is to show a cylinder full of .380R brass sitting like they belong there, which I am 99% sure they do.
 
Wow, I never would have thought that gun might be so uncommon...

Now to find that elusive 380 brass.

Would a cerrosafe chamber cast be ''enough evidence'' or is the brass route the only option?

Brotherockeye is correct just do what he is saying to do.
Sounds like he can solve your 380 brass problem.

I think the gun is rare or Alen trigger would have a picture of one on his web site.
 
the .380 I saw is gone off the EE.
If you get desperate I have some here.
Where you at?

I'm in *cough* eastern quebec *cough*. Just PM me, your price is mine ;)


a chamber cast will show that 38 S&W brass are a perfect fit too, as are the short Colt I believe.
This is because those rounds were based on (rip offs) the original .380 Revolver round.

I have factory BP 38S&W that won't chamber because the bullet is too long/square, but pull the bullet and the brass fits perfect and other than a little variation in the rim is virtually the same dimensions as the .380 brass.

I always avoided using the 38S&W brass for the exact reason Dingus gave and fireformed 38spl brass instead, although I use 38 S&W dies for reloading.

your best bet is to show a cylinder full of .380R brass sitting like they belong there, which I am 99% sure they do.

Well that is some good info since i've got an awfull lot of .38spc brass here just sitting around. Guess it's going to be trimmer time!
 
one thing you need to keep in mind using 38spl brass is that the web is undersized.
They look a little wonky after fire forming because you will get a bulged case, but they do work.
I have never gone more than 2 firings yet and only size the first 1/4" or so to get neck tension for the bullet.
I had forgotten about the .380MKIIz ammo I had when I first set up for .380
Here's the two rounds. The .380 are circa WWII that my Son's Grandfather had for his S&W service revolver (RCAF) and are NOT SAFE to fire in an antique under any circumstances. Not only is the powder charge out of the question but the FMJ bullet would degrade the bore mighty fast.
The cast swc bullet shown in the 38spl case is slightly undersized as well @ .359 but it is what I had at the time.

x9un.jpg


I'll see what I can spare next time out in the reloading shop.
I think dummy rounds would be your best bet.
shipping live ammo is a pita and pricey...especially when a fella is an hour from town.
 
I think that what might help here is the fact that your cylinder is recessed, hopefully for the correct rim diameter.
The 380 revolver rim diameter is 0.426".
38 S&W rim diameter is 0.440", and 38 Short Colt is 0.445", so unless your recesses were cut oversize, the S&W and Colt cartridges won't seat into your cylinder correctly.
I have one (only) loaded round of 'Eley 380' revolver ammunition.
The case has a rim diameter of 0.426", is 0.380" at the base, tapering to 0.375" at the case mouth, and it contains a (slightly rubbed) 0.375" lead round nose heeled bullet. The case is 0.70" long.
You are welcome to this cartridge if you can't find anything closer to home, but as earlier mentioned, it would be total PITA to get it to you.
Regards, DaveF.
 
Last edited:
Would these be the ticket? (Should I find a way to bring them up the border?)

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3768
 
Or would this one be more accurate (sorry, french)

http://www.hc-collection.com/PBSCCatalog.asp?ActionID=67174912&PBCATID=334064&PBCATName=380%20Bulldog
 
One more update, Fiocchi still has that ammo listed (it seems). Waiting on them to confirm and from a few canadian retailers as to if they can get it.

Will keep you guys posted.
 
Back
Top Bottom