Muzzle Loader Markings **help needed**

jpc

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
692   0   0
Was working on one of my guns and found these markings. They appear on the plug, barrel, tang screw, sear and the lock plate.

Any ideas who stampings they are.

I am guessing it is a 'M'

take care and thanks

jpc



Blunder1013.jpg

Blunder002.jpg
Blunder001.jpg
Blunderbuss14001.jpg
Blunderbuss14002.jpg
Blunderbuss14003.jpg
 
Last edited:
Hash marks line up nicely on the Barrel and Plug. Look to be over top of the original Alignment mark, so I would think it has been serviced at some time.

The "M" marking is one with which I am not familiar.

Anything on the Lockplate itself, or any Proof Marks?

Looks like an awfully nice toy it is from.
 
I think the M is an usual form of assembly mark. Usually they are roman numerals cut with a cold chisel. Their purpose is when pack hardening the pieces of several locks at a time, it allows a person to identify which part came from which lock. Necessary because there were small differences from lock to lock

cheers mooncoon
 
I have found roman numerals often on military guns.
I think the M is an usual form of assembly mark. Usually they are roman numerals cut with a cold chisel. Their purpose is when pack hardening the pieces of several locks at a time, it allows a person to identify which part came from which lock. Necessary because there were small differences from lock to lock

cheers mooncoon
 
I think the M is an usual form of assembly mark. Usually they are roman numerals cut with a cold chisel. Their purpose is when pack hardening the pieces of several locks at a time, it allows a person to identify which part came from which lock. Necessary because there were small differences from lock to lock

cheers mooncoon

I am thinking along the lines of either an initial of an inspector, armorer or gunsmith, acknowledging the fit and certifying it with his initial stamp.
 
Looks like a brass or bronze barrel. That a sea-service fiream of some kind? I'm guessing by the dimensions of the tang that it might be a boarding gun or blunderbuss of some kind?

Best

tac
 
Looks like a brass or bronze barrel. That a sea-service fiream of some kind? I'm guessing by the dimensions of the tang that it might be a boarding gun or blunderbuss of some kind?

I don't think you would find an inspector's mark on a lock sear but rather on the lock plate if present. The mark had to have been made before hardening which would also rule out an inspector's mark. Definitely puzzling and I don't ever recall seeing letters stamped in that pattern

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom